Conventional vs Convection Microwave Ovens
Standard microwave ovens are chiefly used to reheat food that has been cooked They can besides cook deep-freeze meals, seethe body of water for tea or coffee bean, or dissolve butter for baking.
There are two types of conventional microwave ovens – alone and grill. A solo microwave oven offers the most basic functions – heating system, reheat, and defrosting. A grill microwave has the capabilities of a solo microwave angstrom well as the ability to grill foods such as wimp and fish. A convection microwave is a combination of a microwave oven and a convection oven. Having the choice of a “ irregular oven ”, you immediately have more fudge possibilities—from baking and cook to wrinkle, grill, and ridicule. This makes it an attractive buy whether you have a big kitchen, fitting out your RV, or are living or working in a small distance. Related Article: Different kinds of microwave ovens
A microwave only has one estrus component to cook foods – a magnetron. This generates microwaves from electricity inside the microwave oven. Microwaves are one type of wave on the electromagnetic spectrum. These waves are absorbed by water, fats, and sugars ( not by glass or ceramic ) and go through the food and stimulate water and adipose tissue molecules. The molecules rotate and as they are doing therefore, bump into each other. The motion of the particles creates heat. Although this thermal energy heats food some parts of the food get hot and others don ’ t. In contrast, a convection oven uses standard microwave technology, an extra inflame element, and a built-in fan to circulate hot tune around the food. The sports fan circulates the air constantly which helps keep the temperature coherent while heating and cooking foods. This results in effective and adequate heat distribution .
Microwave ovens cook outside in by heat conduction. however, they don ’ metric ton always cook food evenly and tend to suck all the moisture out of some foods, such as bread. convection microwave ovens heat the lapp way – outside in. They besides perform the lapp function but with more flush heat distribution due to its inner sports fan .
food can cook thoroughly and quicker at a lower temperature and flavors are enhanced using a convection microwave. Because of the way foods are cooked in a criterion microwave, food is steamed and loses some of its flavors .
A convection microwave oven lends itself to baking, crisping, roasting, and browning while microwave ovens do not. You can bake about anything from tasty treats like cookies to healthy homemade bread. Some models allow baking up to 425°F. pizza from abrasion can besides be prepared. For best results, preheat the pizza stone and sauté chicken, flat coat gripe, or sausage to an internal temperature of 160°F. Related Article: Panasonic microwave oven reviews
Additional appliance for cooking
If you ’ ra fortunate to besides have an oven for cooking larger portions of food, a microwave convection oven offers extra outer space for coincident cook. It is besides bang-up for preparing smaller portions of english dishes when hosting boastfully dinner parties. Some models include multiple oven racks or shelf positions which enable you to cook more than one dish at once .
convection microwave ovens can be pre-heated ; while conventional microwaves lack this feature.
Convection Microwave Oven Features
As with all appliances, the features of convection microwave ovens vary with the model. We prepared the list below so you could decide which ones are “ must-haves ” and which ones belong on a wish list. Automatic/auto programmed functions: Key in the type and weight unit of food, and the cook fourth dimension is mechanically calculated. A ‘ prison term adjust ’ function allows you to quicken or slow down the program cooking time without interrupting the cook.
Read more: The Memory Card .54: Microwaving the hamster
Basic controls: Simple display controls aid you know precisely what they do. Convection rack: Rack is designed to allow the tune to circulate around foods for even heat distribution. Interior light: Keep an eye on your food throughout the cook procedure. Multi-stage cooking: Select a series of cooking functions, such as defrost, cook, and grill. Suitable size: Your cook dishes need to fit inside comfortably. Timer: Handy if you don ’ t have a traditional oven. It can be used for stovetop cooking besides. Recessed turntable: Maximizes oven space and can accommodate more than one dish. Sensor cooking controls : automatically adjusts prison term and power Smartphone control: The bonus feature of some convection microwave ovens is that they can be controlled by your smartphone. Warming oven : Keeps prepared foods warm while retaining moisture and crispness. Steam Cleaning: Fill the container that comes with the microwave with water, place it in the indicate place in the whole, and press the appropriate button. then wipe the walls of the oven. Child safety lock: Some models are locked and unlocked by pressing two buttons at once and holding them for three seconds .
Convection Microwave Oven Advantages
- Uses less energy since cook times and temperatures are reduced.
- Large enough to use for a small family’s meals but small enough to fit in camper vans and tiny kitchens.
- Great for cooking small to medium portions. However, most are large enough to roast a chicken.
- The large stove doesn’t have to be used which means a cooler kitchen.
- Offers all the features of solo and grill microwave ovens with the additional handy ‘keep warm,’ inverter technology, and smart cooking features.
- Quick to crisp, reheat, brown, and melt food. Reheating pizza in a conventional microwave leaves it soggy while this is not the case with a convection microwave.
- Upgrading to a convection microwave is a two-in-one deal since it can be used to bake, brown, defrost, grill, roast, and heat.
Disadvantages of a Convection Microwave Oven
- The interior needs cleaning after each use. Fatty foods can mark the walls with grease Any buildup of oil or residue becomes more challenging to get rid of and decreases future cooking time.
- The interior cavity is smaller than an oven’s.
- Not all models contain a top heating element and a rear convection fan. Without these, your cooking results won’t be optimal.
- With no bottom element, pastries, pies, and pizzas can’t be completely browned and crisped. A crisping plate in some models helps with this but the result isn’t the same as in a conventional oven.
Convection Microwave ovens are great when …
- You will be cooking a large variety of foods regularly.
- You don’t like to cook, but you want to prepare healthy meals with minimal effort.
- You have to equip a kitchen quickly and are short on space.
- You have moved into an apartment and there is no stove.
- You are traveling in an RV and want a convenient way to make meals.
- You have a tiny kitchen and no space for a traditional oven.
conventional microwave and convection microwave ovens have different purposes. The former is chiefly used to reheat food, defrost, and cook frozen dinners. As we ’ ve already said, the latter can be used for broil, browning, crisping, grill, and roast. once you determine how you plan to use the convection microwave and how often, then you can decide whether a convection microwave oven is worth it to you .
What size of bakeware should be used? Choose bakeware that isn ’ t excessively deep or tall so hot air can circulate all around the food. How do I know what temperature to use? Check the exploiter manual for suggest cook times and temperatures. Can metal and aluminum foil can be used? Before buy, check the exploiter manual on-line of the model you want to purchase.
On their web site, General Electric Appliances says “ Microwave convection ovens can use alloy and foil safely during the convection fudge. ” Should convection ovens be preheated before cooking your food? Yes, your food will be evenly cooked .