Since the sores are located in the digestive nerve pathway, it ‘s not storm that certain foods and drinks can irritate them. One of the best ways to manage peptic ulcers is by steering clear of foods and beverages that are known to aggravate them .
here ‘s a quick overview of the causes and symptoms of peptic ulcers, plus a list of foods to eat and avoid if you have them .
Symptoms and Causes
contrary to long-standing myths, neither piquant foods nor excessive stress plays a function in developing ulcers. however, both of these can make the symptoms of peptic ulcers worse. Symptoms admit :
- Stomach pain
- Fatty food intolerance
Bacteria causal agent most peptic ulcers. Helicobacter pylorus ( H. pylorus ) is the most common bacteria that takes up residence in the stomach. It ‘s estimated that half the population of the word are infected with the bacteria, though most do n’t get ulcers because of it .
These bacteria can damage the tissues lining the gastrointestinal ( GI ) tract. then when acidic digestive juices come into contact with the damaged lining, it can lead to far damage and inflammation .
Aspirin and NSAIDs
Another causal agent of peptic ulcers is the long-run use of aspirin and certain other painkillers—specifically non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ( NSAIDs ). These include medications like Advil and Motrin ( ibuprofen ) and Aleve and Anaprox ( naproxen ) .
There ‘s some indication that certain people may be genetically predisposed to developing peptic ulcers. Smoking besides may play a role in the development of ulcers .
Certain foods can cause the stomach to produce acids that bring on the authoritative electrocution annoyance of peptic ulcers. therefore avoiding those foods is key to preventing flare-ups .
In addition, having an empty abdomen can worsen the pain. so choosing foods that help to buffer digest acid can be a helpful scheme for managing ulcers. Medications that reduce digest acidic besides can help .
How you eat besides might besides play a function. In fact, eating habits can significantly reduce the badness and impact of a peptic ulcer .
- Eat five or six small meals a day rather than three large ones.
- Sit upright in a chair while eating.
- Avoid slouching on the sofa, lying in bed, or eating on the run.
- Rest and relax a few minutes before and after each meal.
- Eat slowly and chew each bite thoroughly.
- Have your last meal or snack at least three hours before bedtime.
Foods to Eat
Certain foods are easier on the stomach when you have a peptic ulcer. They include foods that are lower in fat, acidity, and spiciness, including :
- Vegetables and fruits: Most fresh, frozen, or canned vegetables and fruits
- Milk and dairy: Low-fat and non-fat yogurt and cottage cheese, and plain, mild cheese with fewer than 5 grams of fat per ounce
- Whole and seedless grains: Bagels, tortillas, English muffins, pita bread, buns, dinner rolls, low-fat crackers, cereals, barley, rice, and pasta
- Low-fat foods: French toast, muffins, pancakes, waffles, pretzels, and rice cakes made with low-fat ingredients
- Lean meats: Beef, pork, lamb, veal, skinless poultry, crisp bacon, lean ham, fresh or frozen fish, or canned fish packed in water
- Peanut butter: Smooth peanut butter and other nut butters
- Tofu: And other meat substitutes
- Beans and peas: Cooked without fat
- Soups: And mildly seasoned meat stock
- Fats: Non-fat or low-fat mayonnaise and salad dressings and light or low-fat margarine (used sparingly)
- Sweets: Sugar, syrup, honey, jelly, seedless jam, marshmallows, hard candy, sherbet, fruit ices, gelatin, angel food cake, graham crackers
- Mild spices and seasonings: Salt, pepper, most herbs, ketchup, mustard, and vinegar (in moderation)
- All beverages: As tolerated
Foods to Avoid
On the flip side, to avoid symptoms of a peptic ulcer, there are some foods you may want to avoid. Lower your fat intake and avoid foods that can trigger stomach acidic and irritate open sores. These include :
- Fried foods: French fries, fried chicken
- Spicy foods: Jalapeños, cayenne
- Coffee: Including decaf, tea, and cola
- Carbonated beverages: Sodas, sparkling water
- Citrus fruits and juices: Pineapples, berries, figs
- Chocolate: Candy bars, chocolate-covered nuts
- Alcohol: Wine, beer, liquor
- High-fat carbs: Croissants, biscuits, muffins, granola and bran cereals, bread that contain nuts or seeds, wild rice, and crackers
- Raw vegetables: Corn, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, onions, cauliflower, cucumbers, green peppers, rutabagas, turnips, sauerkraut, tomatoes, and vegetables prepared with added fat
- Tomato-based products: Soups and sauces
- Whole milk: Chocolate milk, buttermilk made with whole milk, evaporated whole milk, cream, and strong cheeses
- Highly seasoned meats: Poultry, fish, corned beef, luncheon meats, frankfurters, other sausages, sardines, and anchovies
- Fatty meats: Dark poultry, fatty cuts of beef and pork
- Dried beans: And peas cooked with fat
- Chunky peanut butter: And other chunky nut butters
- Nuts and seeds: Cashews, walnuts, almonds, etc.
- Gravy: Made from fatty meats
- Cream soup: Made with milk bases
- Salad dressings: Especially those that are highly seasoned
- High-fat snacks: Chips and buttered popcorn
- Desserts: Cake, cookies, pie, pastries, doughnuts, chocolate, creamy candies, and any sweets and desserts containing nuts, coconut, or fruit
- Seasonings and condiments: Strongly flavored, such as garlic oil, barbecue sauce, chili sauce, chili pepper, chili powder, horseradish, and black pepper
- Pickles: And pickled vegetables
More Prevention Tips
In addition to avoiding certain foods, make an effort to stop smoke. ultimately, until your ulcer is in full healed, avoid taking NSAIDs ; try Tylenol ( acetaminophen ) for pain alternatively.
peptic ulcers are irritating sores that develop in the digestive nerve pathway. Bacteria most normally cause them. But they may besides develop as a result of some medications, smoke, or genetic predisposition .
If you have a peptic ulcer, certain foods may aggravate it. For exemplar, you may want to limit or avoid hot foods, fried foods, alcohol, and high-fat foods. Eating patronize, humble meals and chewing your food thoroughly can besides help .