perfectly toasted pine nuts ( aka pignoli ) are a charming thing, aren ’ t they ? I don ’ thymine get to experience their beauty and delectability deoxyadenosine monophosphate much as I ’ d like to since my kids have tree nut allergies, but it makes them that much more of a treat for me .
Let ’ s be real – they ’ re already a bit of a dainty given their price tag, but oooooh are they worth it ! Their bearing can in truth elevate even the most simple serve, and their flavor can not be replicated by any early ingredient. They ’ rhenium particularly capital on salads ( they go therefore well with rocket ! ) and sprinkled on top of a creamy pasta recipe. They ’ re besides antic on top of hummus, of naturally. I can ’ t have hummus in the sign of the zodiac either ( sesame allergy for my small man ), but I ’ m not even joking when I say that I dream of satiny hummus topped with perfectly toasted pine nuts and a drizzle of the best olive anoint I can find. Toasting your ache nuts will besides give an insubstantial depth of relish to your homemade pesto – try it !
Moral of this story that is beginning to verge on a pity-party ? Eat all the pine nuts for me and send me photos of your delicious creations topped with absolutely toasted ache nuts, approve ? On Instagram, tag me # rachelcooksblog so I can see them !
BUT in encase you don ’ metric ton know how to toast pine nuts, I ’ thousand here to help. I ’ thousand going to cover three methods in this post and they ’ re all super easy ! More often than not, I ’ ll use the stovetop method but any of these three methods work great. It besides depends a little on how many you want to toast all at once – I ’ ll cover that as I go through the methods .
p : If this seems superintendent basic and simple to some of you, that ’ s capital ! You ’ re probably already killing it in the kitchen. however, when I did my reader survey, there was quite a snatch of interest in basic cook tutorials like this one, so I ’ m going to sprinkle them in here and there. besides, I have a recipe coming up for an amaze pasta salad and you ’ ll want absolutely toasted pine nuts in it, therefore I want to make certain you can nail that fortune of the recipe !
here we go !
How to Toast Pine Nuts : Three Ways
method 1 : How to Toast Pine Nuts on the Stove
This is my prefer method acting. After the microwave, it ’ s the quickest and it ’ s more dependable than the microwave. It is besides possibly because I ’ m a control freak out and this method gives you the most dominance and supervision of the process. On the flip english, it requires a little more hands-on time and monitor. It works best for small – medium amounts of pine nuts ( 1/4 cup to 1 cup ) .
- Place pine nuts in a dry (don’t add oil) frying pan large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Turn heat to medium-low and cook until fragrant and golden brown, keeping them moving (stir frequently or constantly).
- When they’re golden brown, immediately transfer them to a plate to stop the cooking and prevent burning.
method acting 2 : How to Toast Pine Nuts in the Microwave
Yes, microwave ! I often use the microwave to toast other types of nuts ( well, I did before the nut allergies surfaced ). For this method acting, make certain you have a microwave-safe plate ! This method works best for little amounts of ache nuts ( 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup ). You could credibly manage up to a cup if you have a bad enough home plate and microwave, but you ’ ll want to have them in a single layer when they go into the microwave .
- Spread pine nuts in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on full power for 1 minute, stir, and then continue to microwave and stir in 30 second intervals until golden brown.
- Make sure to keep an eye on them, especially towards the end, because they can burn quickly. The microwave tends to heat unevenly so some can be untoasted while others burn if you’re not watching and stirring every 30 seconds.
method acting 3 : How to Toast Pine Nuts in the Oven
This is a great method acting if you want to toast a bunch of pine nuts at once because you can spread them all out on a half sheet pan or a quarter sail pan. You could do up to a copulate cup of ache nuts. similar to the microwave, you ’ ll want to have the pine nuts in a single layer indeed create sure you choose a boastfully enough pan if you ’ re toasting a large quantity of pine nuts. If you ’ re toasting more than 2 cups of pine nuts at once, I want to come over. This method besides yields the most even toasting and color on all the pine nuts .
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Spread pine nuts in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Immediately transfer to a plate to stop the hot pan from continuing to cook them.
storage Notes :
Wondering how to store crispen pine nuts ? It ’ randomness similar to the recommendation as storehouse of untoasted ache nuts. here is my suggestion : Cool wholly before moving to an airtight container ( you don ’ metric ton want any steamer or condensing in the container or you ’ ll have soggy pine nuts ! ). store at room temperature if you plan to use them within a week. If you wish to store them longer, move them to the electric refrigerator to prevent them from becoming sour. preferably, you ’ ll only toast what you ’ re going to use in the next few days. I store my raw pine nuts in the deep-freeze to extend the shelf life and prevent them from becoming rancid. They ’ re besides expensive to let them go rancid without using them !
Did you make this? Be certain to leave a review below and tag me @ rachelcooksblog on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest !
Get the Recipe:
How to Toast Pine Nuts – Three Methods
Prevent your screen from going dark
Learning how to toast pine nuts is an essential skill you ‘ll want in that cooking “ tool box. ” Knowing how to toast pine nuts will elevate your recipes that include ache nuts and take the relish to the future charge ! You ‘ll learn three easy methods and what situations are best for each method !
1/2 cup raw ache nuts – see note
Stove Top Method :
- Place pine nuts in a dry ( do n’t add anoint ) electrocute pan big enough to hold them in a single layer .
- Turn heat to medium-low and cook until fragrant and fortunate brown, keeping them moving ( stir frequently or constantly ) .
- When they ‘re golden brown, immediately transfer them to a plate to stop the cook and prevent burning .
Microwave Method :
- Spread ache nuts in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on full power for 1 infinitesimal, raise, and then continue to microwave and stir in 30 second intervals until golden brown .
- Make certain to keep an eye on them, specially towards the end, because they can burn promptly. The microwave tends to heat raggedly so some can be untoasted while others burn if you ‘re not watching and stirring every 30 seconds .
oven Method :
- Preheat oven to 375ºF .
- Spread pine nuts in a single layer on a rim broil sheet .
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown .
- immediately transfer to a plate to stop the hot pan from continuing to cook them .
- You can easily toast more pine nuts than 1/2 cup. If you toast more than 1 cup at a time, the oven method will work best.
This web site provides approximate nutrition data for public toilet and as a courtesy only. Nutrition datum is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other on-line calculators.
© author :
Husband’s take: He loves hummus topped with lamb and pine nuts. And they MUST be toasted. That’s me speaking, but he would feel the same if he did a side-by-side taste test.
Changes I would make: Eat more pine nuts.
I could eat these by the handful ! He loves hummus topped with lamb and pine nuts. And they MUST be toasted. That ’ s me speaking, but he would feel the lapp if he did a side-by-side taste test.Eat more pine nuts.Easy !