Kitchen sponges are among the most germ-ridden objects in your entire house. But can they be disinfected ? Photos.com/ Thinkstock If you ‘ve watched a good morning newsworthiness program or read a women ‘s magazine anytime in the past 10 years or so, you credibly already know that kitchen sponges are among the most germ-ridden objects in your entire house. It ‘s pretty megascopic if you think about it : We use them to wipe up spills and food particles of every kind, and then we leave them sitting out at room temperature, decent and dampen, overnight. And then we wash our dishes with them again.
Reading: Can you disinfect kitchen sponges?
many of us clean our kitchen sponges by rinsing them with hot buttery water or running them through the dishwasher, but can you sincerely disinfect a kitchen sponge ? fortunately ( since it would n’t be identical practical or environmentally friendly to throw them away after a single consumption ), the answer is yes you can disinfect them, and you credibly already have the most effective disinfectants right there in your kitchen. ad
One way to disinfect a kitchen mooch is to heat it in the microwave — but be sure to do it safely, and never microwave a sponge containing metal ! While most germs can only survive about 30 seconds in the microwave, you ‘ll need to nuke your kitchen sponge for two minutes at full world power to eliminate E. coli. Before you hit “ start, ” be sure to saturate your sponge with water, since a dry leech may catch fire. Look out for a fusillade of steam when you open the microwave door, and let the sponge cool before you remove it — it will be very blistering ! You may want to use tongs to pick it up. If you ‘d quite not deal with the steamer or the risk of fire, you can just soak your sponge for five minutes in a solution of 3/4 cup bleach to 1 gallon of water. ( Bonus : If you mix the bleach solution in your kitchen cesspool, you can clean and sanitize your sinkhole at the same clock. )
Read more: Baked Potato In The Microwave
For an eco-friendly way to kill most bacteria, soak sponges for at least five minutes in neat white vinegar then let them air-dry ( in the sunlight, if possible ). If you decide to go the microwave route, you may still want to use a fiddling vinegar to freshen the sponge before you nuke it so you do n’t end up with a sign of the zodiac that smells like hot, fusty leech. Simply add a copulate tablespoons of vinegar to a cup of water, soak your sponge and follow the microwave instructions above. ad