Ivannag82/iStock/GettyImages Like other cruciferous vegetables, cabbage is deep in character, vitamin C and beta-carotene, according to the University of Illinois Extension. unfortunately, cooking pilfer by boiling may leach away some or all of these valuable nutrients .
ad Video of the Day
Cooking it in aluminum pots can besides cause the pilfer to release sulfurous compounds into your kitchen, per the University of Illinois Extension. Microwave cabbage in non-metal containers to help preserve its nutrients and prevent it from creating a fetid theater. Microwaving besides speeds up the fudge process, and you only have to add water to make a alimentary steam cabbage recipe .
ad here ‘s how to microwave cabbage in a few simple steps .
Things You’ll Need
- abrupt knife
- food central processing unit ( optional )
- large microwave-safe container with lid
- Your favored seasonings
- Plastic envelop ( optional )
Read more: Microwave Corn on the Cob
1. Remove the hard forbidden leaves of the cabbage and discard them .
2. Rinse the headway of boodle under running water to remove any soil, debris or chemical remainder from it .
ad 3. Cut the cabbage into wedges or remove the core of the boodle and shred it by bridge player with a tongue or in a food central processing unit .
4. Place the cabbage into a microwave-safe container that can accommodate all of the boodle you have. Add a modest sum of water — no more than a few tablespoons — to the container .
ad You can sprinkle salt, capsicum or other seasonings to your boodle either before or after the cook process to add some season .
Mix in a few spoon of lemon juice or crimson wine vinegar to red pilfer before microwaving to help preserve its color when cooking it — it besides adds a lemony relish to your pilfer and wo n’t add unnecessary fats or calories to it. Along with vinegar, you can besides add some apple slices, raisins, cloves and a spot of carbohydrate to your pilfer before microwaving it for a sweet-and-sour pilfer smasher .
5. Cover the container with its lid or with credit card wrap, and poke a hole in the wrap to vent it .
When using fictile wind to cover your cabbage, do n’t allow it to touch the cabbage — plastic wrap can melt. Doing then prevents any chemicals from being transferred to the cabbage from the plastic during the fudge process, per Harvard Health Publishing .
6. Cook the cabbage for around 6 to 14 minutes in the microwave on high. Stop the microwave after 4 minutes to stir the cabbage, which ensures evening cooking .
Continue to check the cabbage every 5 minutes until it is tender when you poke it with a crotch. Allow it to sit for a few minutes before serving .
How to Buy and Store Cabbage Buy boodle that is n’t bruised or damaged. Wash cabbage thoroughly under plain, running water before cook, as advised by the FDA. Refiregate pilfer within 2 hours after you cut, undress or cook it, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Read more: Microwave Corn on the Cob – The BEST Way!
store your cook boodle in the refrigerator, set to around 40 degrees Fahrenheit, for 3 to 5 days, or freeze it for up to a class in an airtight container at 0 degrees Fahrenheit .