Learn how to cut spaghetti squash well and safely with this bit-by-bit tutorial and instructional video recording. You ’ ll besides learn tips for how to cook spaghetti squash, recipes, and what to do if you don ’ t have a microwave or oven .
This military post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
Are you a winnow of spaghetti squash ? If you ’ re not familiar with this fall/winter vegetable, it looks like spaghetti but tastes like squash !
I love serving it merely like I would regular spaghetti. It provides the like form as noodles while packing some extra nutrition and character .
But if you aren ’ metric ton familiar with cooking this vegetable, it can be in truth intimidating ! The skin of spaghetti squash is very hood. But have no fear, I ’ meter going to cover all of my favorites hacks for how to cut spaghetti squash safely and easily in this mail, including how to soften spaghetti squash in the microwave .
This tutorial will show you how to cut spaghetti squash for long strands that most resemble spaghetti. There are early ways to cut this squash to yield shorter noodles, but that ’ s a topic for another day. Be sure to watch the video recording !
How to Cut and Cook Spaghetti Squash
- With a sharp paring knife, make several slits in the skin of the spaghetti squash, along the line where you will eventually cut the squash in half lengthwise.
- Put the spaghetti squash in the microwave for 4 to 5 minutes on high. Please note: you MUST make slits in the squash before putting it in the microwave so that steam can escape.
- Remove the squash from the microwave, using a dish towel or oven mitt to avoid burning yourself. Cut the squash in half lengthwise, along the slits you made. Also cut off the stem.
- Remove and discard the seeds. (Or, roast them for a yummy snack!)
- Rub the cut surfaces with a drizzle of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes at 400 degrees F until the outer skin is softened. Cooking time depends on the size of the squash.
- Carefully flip the squash over with a dish towel or oven mitt. Loosen the squash “noodles” with a fork. Enjoy!
How to Cut Spaghetti Squash without a Microwave
even though I like to take the extra precaution of softening spaghetti squash in the microwave, you can still cut it without a microwave. If you have a sharply chef ’ s tongue and feel convinced in your knife skills, slice off the stalk of the spaghetti squash then carefully cut it in half lengthwise. It may take a little elbow grease, therefore be affected role and take your time .
If you want to loosen up the clamber of the spaghetti squash before cutting it, use a paring knife to make slits in the squash along where you will cut it in half. This may make it easier for you to cut even if you skip the microwave pace .
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash without an Oven
If you want to streamline the wholly procedure of preparing spaghetti squash, you can actually cook it entirely in the microwave .
depart with step 1 listed above : make several slits in the spaghetti squash with a paring knife. Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes to soften. Slice the squash in one-half, then remove and discard the seeds. Pour ¼ cup water in the bottom of a casserole cup of tea and identify the squash in it, cut side devour .
Microwave for 5 to 10 minutes until the skin can be pierced with a fork. Be surely to start with 5 minutes, and check the squash after that then you don ’ thyroxine overdo it !
These tips for how to cut spaghetti squash will help you do so in an easy and dependable way, but having the right equipment will make it flush easier .
I use a Shun Cutlery chef ’ s tongue. It ’ mho identical sharp and perfective for cutting squash, and although it ’ s expensive, it ’ south worth the investment ( it sometimes goes on sale around the holidays besides ! ). Shun besides makes a great skin knife .
For cutting boards, I love these bamboo boards from Martha Stewart that have rubber stoppers on the penetrate. You won ’ metric ton have to worry about them slipping !
Spaghetti Squash Recipes
nowadays that you know how to make spaghetti squash easier to cut and how long to roast spaghetti squash, here are some of my favored recipes for this vegetable .
Want to see more of my cook tutorials ? Check out my posts on How to Cut Delicata Squash, How to Shave Brussels Sprouts, and How to Make Riced Broccoli .
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
How to Cut Spaghetti Squash
Learn how to cut spaghetti squash in half safely and easily, including tips for softening the skin in the microwave, and how to cook spaghetti squash.
from 1 vote
- Chef’s knife
- Paring knife
- Cutting board
1 spaghetti squash
Freshly ground black pepper
Prevent your screen from going dark
Use a paring knife to make several slits in the skin of the spaghetti squash, along the line where you will cut it in half lengthwise. Cook in the microwave for 4 to 5 minutes on high to soften (you MUST make slits before putting it in the microwave to let steam escape).
Remove the squash from the microwave, using a dish towel or oven mitt. Cut the squash in half lengthwise along the slits you made, and slice off the stem. Remove and discard the seeds.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Rub the cut side of each half with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the halves cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Read more: Microwave Baked Potato – Baking Mischief
Cook for 30 to 45 minutes, until the skin is softened. Cooking time will depend on the size of the squash. Remove from oven, and carefully flip over each half using a dish towel or oven mitt. Use a fork to loosen the spaghetti squash noodles. Enjoy!
- If you don’t have a microwave, you can still cut spaghetti squash in half, but it will take some extra elbow grease and more time. Start by slicing off the stem, then carefully cut the squash in half lengthwise, pausing as needed. Making slits in the skin along the line where you will cut before making the bigger cut may help.
- You can also cook a spaghetti squash entirely in the microwave if you don’t want to use the oven. Start by following the instructions for making slits in the spaghetti squash and softening the skin in the microwave (the first two steps above). Then, cut the squash in half, remove the seeds, and place the halves cut side down in a casserole dish with ¼ cup water. Cook for 5 to 10 more minutes in the microwave until the skin is softened and can be pierced with a fork.
- Store cooked spaghetti squash in the fridge for up to a week.
Did you make this recipe ? Tag @ its_a_vegworld_afterall and follow me today ! felicitous cook ! – Lizzie