If you ’ ve experienced a microwave fire in your family, you ’ re credibly wondering what to do and how to begin the cleaning process .
here at ServiceMaster Restoration by Zaba, our team provides comprehensive examination fire damage cleanup services for households affected by microwave fires and other disasters in the Chicago area .
In this blog, we ’ rhenium sharing how to put out a microwaves fires and clean up after one, a good as how to prevent future fires.
Let ’ s dive in .
How to Put out a Microwave Fire Quickly & Safely
If you have a fire in the microwave, keep calm air and follow these steps :
- Close the door and turn off the microwave. Close the door (or keep it closed) and turn off the microwave. This step stops the fan. The resulting lack of oxygen will suffocate the flames and deprive the fire of fuel to keep growing. Dealing with a grease fire? It’s impossible to put out a grease fire with water, which will only repel grease and spread the flames. Instead, throw baking soda or salt on the fire. Both will smother the flames.
- Call the fire department. If the fire continues once you’ve closed the door, contact the fire department. While UL-certified microwaves are designed to contain small fires and prevent the flames from spreading to other parts of the kitchen, it is possible for microwave fires to spread rapidly. In this event, having the fire department on their way can help prevent extensive damage.
The above tips are the best way to put out microwave fires cursorily and safely. Of course, wait until the flames are extinguished completely before you open the door to evaluate the damage .
6 Simple Steps for Cleaning a Microwave After a Fire
Practicing microwave guard international relations and security network ’ thymine hard, but accidents can even happen. If something catches on fuel in the microwave, unplug the unit of measurement. Leave the door exclude, and let the flames extinguish themselves .
once the appliance cools down, you can start cleanup. This international relations and security network ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate a job for ordinary house clean products. Your burn off microwave is covered with a black, oily remainder inwardly and out. A atrocious smell fills the kitchen .
adenine regretful as it looks and smells, you can normally save the appliance with the right techniques. Follow these six steps to clean your microwave after a open fire .
1. Clear the Counter
Give yourself batch of room to work on the microwave interior and outside. You want to be able to reach the back vents excessively. Move things out of the manner for the follow clean items .
- Microwave-safe glass bowl
- White vinegar
- Sturdy sponges
- Soft, clean cloths
- Rubber gloves
2. Boil the Vinegar
Pour vinegar into the bowl until it ’ second three-quarters wide, and seethe in the microwave on high for respective minutes. You want to fill the inside of the microwave with a cloud of vinegar steam .
3. Be Patient
Keep a conclude eye on the action. Once the microwave interior is full of steam, turn it off. Leave the door closed for 15 to 20 minutes. This should loosen up greasy carbon black on microwave walls .
Power Tip: As you open the microwave door, stay away from escaping steam by taking a step back .
4. Clean With Sponges
Protect your hands by wearing rubberize gloves. Dip a quick study in the ardent vinegar, and begin cleaning the microwave inside and out. Change sponges as needed .
Power Tip : clean microwave vents by wringing excess vinegar from a mooch and working its edge into vent slats .
5. Remove Soot Stains
To get rid of stubborn soot stains from a burn microwave, use acetone pinpoint polish remover. You can besides use a assortment of trisodium phosphate and water .
Power Tip : Always read box safety instructions before using trisodium phosphate for any type of clean visualize .
6. Wipe Down and Dry
Use damp, clean cloths to wipe away streaks and polish surfaces. Dry the inside by leaving the microwave door open for 24 hours .
Power Tip : In shell of a badly burn microwave, you may need to repeat the above six steps several times.
Read more: Microwave Corn on the Cob – The BEST Way!
How to Get the Burnt Smell Out of a Microwave
After you clean the microwave with vinegar, it can still have a strong, unpleasant smell. Eliminating the olfactory property international relations and security network ’ t as boastfully of a job as DIY smoke cleaning, but it can take several tries .
Get rid of burn smells by boiling one of these ingredients in 2 cups of water inside the microwave. Let the steamer set for an hour or more before opening the microwave door. This work can help freshen up the entire kitchen .
- One or two medium lemons chopped
- One medium orange sliced
- 1/4 cup vanilla extract
- Several drops peppermint oil
- 2 tablespoons coffee grounds
When you ’ re satisfy with the results, leave the microwave doorway open so that fresh air can circulate inside .
It ’ second besides a good practice to leave an open box of baking sodium carbonate inside the microwave when not in use. This helps keep the appliance bracing between cooking sessions .
5 Microwave Fire Statistics You Need to Know About
According to holocene data from the National Fire Protection Association, US ardor departments answer to an annual average of 7,100 home structure fires in which a microwave was named as a cause of ignition .
While these fires caused an average of fewer than 10 deaths and 150 injuries, they were creditworthy for $ 31 million in direct property damage .
Here are some additional microwave fire statistics you should know:
- 61% of microwave ovens involved in fires were stationary and 39% were portable.
- Nearly all 95% of microwave fires begin in the kitchen.
- 17% of microwave oven home structure fires were initially caused by appliance housing or casing.
- Fires involving microwave ovens are responsible for more emergency room scald burn injuries than fires that involve any other cooking device.
- Children under five are at an increased risk of scalds involving microwave ovens.
While microwave ovens are some of the safest cook devices in the kitchen, they ’ re still creditworthy for many fires and injuries each year .
Why Did My Microwave Catch on Fire?
At beginning, it can be tough to understand how microwave fires happen. After all, there ’ s no open flame involved in the cook process, so how does a fire start ?
ultimately, microwave fires normally start when food overheats. today, microwave fires about constantly start because person mis-entered cook time. even something adenine elementary as adding an extra five minutes to the timer can create a fire .
Another perpetrator is packaging. many microwavable meals come in packaging. When this packaging gets stuck near the wave emitter ( which is located on the side of the machine ) it can overheat and cause the food to catch fire .
6 Microwave Fire Safety Tips
Prevent microwave fires with the following safety tips :
- Read the manufacturer’s operating procedures before using a new microwave oven.
- Never use a microwave to heat articles that are not approved for heating in a microwave oven.
- If possible, remove food from packaging before heating it in a microwave oven. If you must heat food in packaging, make sure the packaging is marked as microwave safe.
- Do not leave a microwave oven unattended when microwaving high-heat foods like popcorn.
- If you have a fire in the microwave, turn it off immediately and leave the door closed.
- Use oven mitts to remove items from the microwave after heating them. This is a simple tip that helps prevent microwave scalds.
While there ’ s no means to avoid microwave fires entirely, these six tips can help you keep your home and kitchen condom from price .
Dealing With a Microwave Fire in Chicago? We Can Help
A microwave fire can leave behind damages that are difficult to clean up. If the job turns into more than you can handle, let us help. Our team clean soot and stains off countertops, fixtures, wallboard and ceilings. We sanitize kitchen cabinets inside and out, and we eliminate roll of tobacco odors throughout the sign of the zodiac .
From appliance mishaps to cooking accidents, our industry-certified technicians handle all types of kitchen fire disasters. When you need expert kitchen fire damage cleanup, you want Chicago ’ s leading fire damage restoration caller .
Our teams here at ServiceMaster Restoration by Zaba are standing by and ready to answer your call: 773-647-1985
Read more: Microwave Corn on the Cob
How do you safely put out a microwave fire? Turn off and unplug the microwave. Don ’ t open the door. Lack of oxygen inside the microwave suffocates flames. If you have any doubts about the situation, call the fire department immediately. Is it safe to use a burnt microwave after cleaning? In most cases, yes. Make sure the cord and plug are still in good condition. Give the microwave a trial run after cleanse. If it sparks or smokes, replace it with a new appliance. How do you get rid of smoke smell in the house after a fire in the microwave? Try boiling water on the stave with lemons, oranges or coffee bean grounds. Open up windows and doors. For permeant smoke odors, contact a fire wrong restoration contractile organ.