This Thin Crust Pizza Dough recipe has been a long time comin ’, my friends.
With all the great brick oven pizza restaurants cranking out amazing pies, I ’ ve longed for a homemade thin crust pizza that would give me that lapp experience…but from my own identical regular kitchen oven .
I ’ ve tried many different recipes and techniques. none of them left me wanting for more .
But then we ate some amaze brick oven pizzas in our friends ’ backyard last fall. curtly thereafter, I came upon a part of mind-bending homemade pizza-making equipment made for the kitchen oven. I experimented. And then experimented some more .
And, as they say, the respite is history .
I do hope you ’ ll discover as much enjoyment in this homemade pizza as our family does. It ’ mho quickly become a Family Pizza Night custom !
Easy Homemade Thin Crust Pizza
I remember making homemade pizza as a pull the leg of. We ’ d pull out a box of Chef Boyardee Pizza Maker from the faineant susan and then happily proceed to create a pizza masterpiece .
Inside the box was the crust mix, a small can of pizza sauce, and a small packet of grate Parmesan. All we needed was some shred mozzarella and toppings. Talk about an easy way to make your own pizza !
While I have amazing memories of this kind of homemade pizza making with my parents and sisters, I set my sights a bite higher with this recipe I ’ megabyte sharing with you now. Although it does take more time than box Chef Boyardee, I promise that this is an easy manner to achieve an epic poem slender crust pizza boodle at home .
Why I Love This “Faux Brick Oven Pizza” Recipe
My “ fake brick oven pizza ” recipe makes me dizzy. And that ’ s not an exaggeration. Just ask our kids. Every meter I pull a hot pizza from the oven, Hatti and Tessa are laughing at me ( or laughing “ with me ” ? ! ). I just can NOT contain my excitement !
Here is the criteria I used when creating this thin crust pizza dough recipe:
- The crust must be thin, and have both crisp and chewy textures. No wimpy, soggy pizza crust allowed!
- The crust must taste good, which means it must contain yeast. Crusts that don’t use yeast always have me longing for deeper flavor and greater texture.
- The dough must be easy to make AND easy to work with. Nothing frustrates me more in the kitchen than uncooperative dough!
- From start to finish, a hot homemade pizza must be on the table in less than 3 hours. Note that most of that time is not active time. When using yeast, you must allow time for the dough to rise. So it’s just a matter of planning for that hands-off rise time.
I promise you, once you make this comfortable thin crust pizza dough recipe, you ’ ll be making it every single workweek ! !
Special Equipment (That’s Totally Worth It!)
Two pieces of necessity equipment make this antic recipe ’ mho results possible. They are key in making pizza crust magic trick in a regular ol ’ oven !
first base, you ’ ll want to grab a pizza peel. This tool features a bombastic apartment surface with a cover – see the skin in the photograph above, on the bequeath .
A pizza skin is the arrant tool for transferring the pizza to and from the hot oven. I prefer a wood skin in the kitchen – but I besides know that many restaurants and home cooks use metallic peels, specially when cooking in a brick oven .
If you want to make larger pizza, you ’ ll want to look for a larger pizza peel, so the pizza fits on it. My recipe specifies rolling the boodle for each pizza into a 14″ diameter circle .
here ’ s the extra-large wood pizza undress that we use ( shown in the photograph above, on the leave ). It works big .
Second, get yourself a baking steel. not a bake rock. A bake sword .
I was completely unaware that baking steels even existed until I ventured depressed this homemade pizza crust travel. After seeing one mentioned in a recipe, I took a prospect and ordered one .
And, hey. I get it. If you feel immune to buying so far one more piece of kitchen equipment, be assured that I felt the very same way !
But I was besides desperate to conquer a thin and crispy/chewy crust in our kitchen oven. indeed I added this baking steel to my on-line handcart, said a little prayer, and clicked “ place rate ” .
I ’ m so glad it all worked out. I love my bake sword ! The steel has more bulk, so it retains more estrus than a stone and gives a light aeriform crust. Plus, baking steels won ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate crack like baking stones can !
here ’ s the bake sword that we use ( shown in the photograph above, on the right ). It ’ mho 15″ ten 15″ adam 1/4″ of carbon steel. It is HEAVY at 16 pounds. And it ’ s AWESOME. besides – a bonus for me is that this steel is made in my home express of South Dakota. : )
Tips for the Best Thin Crust Pizza
I ’ thousand sharing my bit-by-bit proficiency for the best flimsy crust pizza I know ! Please read through each step, as you ’ ll find all my best tips located within those person steps. From specific ingredients, to equipment and techniques, I ’ ve got you covered !
Pizza Crust Recipe Ingredients
The ingredients for this pizza crust are very basic, although I highly recommend a particular kind of flour .
- warm water
- dry yeast – Here’s the dry yeast that we use.
- sugar – Just a little bit adds great flavor!
- “00” pizza flour – I highly recommend this type of soft wheat flour for this recipe. It yields a silky smooth dough that’s super easy to work with + gives you a better textured crust that’s crisp and chewy. It’s available on Amazon. Also look for it in specialty grocery stores. I purchase this type of flour at our local Kowalski’s, in their Italian foods section – and it costs less than Amazon, just FYI. If you don’t want to buy this flour, then use all-purpose flour – just know that the results won’t be quite as spectacular. Here’s the “00” pizza flour that we use.
- kosher salt
- olive oil
- cornmeal – This isn’t actually in the pizza dough. It gets sprinkled on the pizza peel to easily slide the pizza dough onto the hot baking steel in the oven. It works fabulously! Here’s the cornmeal that we use.
How to Make the Pizza Dough
This pizza boodle is easy to make. I ’ meter a sting yeast dough impaired, and this recipe works for me every time !
Activate the yeast : First, add ardent water to a modest liquid measure. We use this 1-cup measure .
Be careful to not get the body of water besides hot. Experts say the ideal temperature should be 110° F. I once read that you should try to mimic the temperature of a affectionate bottle that you would feed a baby, and that ’ s the usher I use .
Add boodle to the affectionate water, then sprinkle the yeast evenly over the circus tent of the body of water. Let stand for 15 minutes, or until the yeast is bubbling ( as shown in the photograph above ) .
now the yeast is activated, cook for a pizza party !
Create the dough: While yeast is activating, add flour and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a boodle addict. Stir on first gear rush for a few seconds, merely to combine .
then add activated yeast mix and olive anoint to the flour mix. Combine on depleted travel rapidly for about 30 seconds, equitable to combine the wet and dry ingredients. then increase accelerate to medium and let the boodle bait knead the boodle for 2 minutes, or until nothing is left in the bottom of the bowl .
Grab the dough out of the bowl and form it into a ball. Notice how soft and silky the dough feels. That ’ second because of the “ 00 ” pizza flour .
Create two balls of dough: Divide boodle into two equal portions. Roll each one into a ball on a clean countertop using the palm and heel of your hired hand, adding a little flour to the countertop if needed .
then drizzle a little olive oil into the bottom of a low wide bowl. Add dough balls and roll them around in the olive oil to coat completely .
Let dough rise: Spray a piece of credit card wind thinly with non-stick spray and cover bowl of boodle balls, sprayed english depressed. And then let the boodle raise at room temperature for at least 2 hours, or until doubled in size – like the photograph above .
Prep the oven: Once the dough has doubled in size, place the baking steel in the upper parcel of the oven. In our accelerator oven, I adjust a torment to the side second base from the top. This measures about 4″ from the acme of the torment to the broiler whole at the top of the oven .
Preheat the oven and baking sword to 500° F. Once that temperature has been reached, let the bake steel estrus for an extra 30 minutes. You want it good and hot, thoroughly heated, for the best crust results .
Flatten the dough: While the oven is heating up, beginning preparing the inaugural pizza crust. Pat it down into a slurred boodle round, about 5″ in diameter .
Roll the dough: lightly dust a clean countertop. And then, with a lightly dusted rolling peg, roll boodle circle into a 12″ diameter circle. Flip the boodle over once or twice, in between roll, adding a morsel more flour to the countertop and rolling fall if the dough starts to stick .
The dough may want to spring back a bite as you roll it larger. This is convention. Once the boodle reaches 12″ in diameter, let the dough rest and relax for 5 minutes .
Roll the dough a bit more: After the dough has had a few minutes to rest, it will roll out easier into an even thinner circle of dough. hera comes that thinly crust I promised you !
Continue to roll the dough until you have a 14″ diameter circle, adding flour to the countertop and rolling personal identification number if needed. The boodle should be identical reduce, as shown in the photograph above .
Try to not use excessive extra flour when rolling out the dough. But besides know that a certain sum of flour is desirable, in that it will enable you to easily lift the dough from the countertop to the pizza peel. Just remember that rehearse makes arrant. With every pizza crust that you make, you ’ ll get the find for the boodle, and it will be easier each time !
Fold dough in half: Gently lift the boodle and fold it over itself, into a half-circle .
Tip for you ! For slowly cleanup of your countertop, use a bench scraper to easily remove the flour !
Prep pizza peel: Spread a thin layer of cornmeal evenly over the top of the pizza peel off. Be certain to spread cornmeal all the way to the border, as this will help the pizza slide off the undress more well, onto the hot baking steel. I use about a tablespoon of cornmeal to cover a pizza peel this size .
Transfer crust: nowadays transfer the half-moon pizza crust to cornmeal-covered pizza undress, unfolding it into its full moon circle supreme headquarters allied powers europe .
How to Assemble & Cook Your Pizza
And now it ’ randomness time to assemble the pizza and get it in the oven !
In the recipe tease, I share the quantities of toppings we use for a basic pepperoni pizza, the proto-indo european we tend to make the most much about here .
Brush with olive oil: Start by brushing a very thin coating of olive anoint over the entire crust. This adds another layer of flavor, plus gives a little crisp crust and semblance to the finished pie .
Spread on pizza sauce: I like to use a chummy stylus of pizza sauce that has lots of deep, rich tomato relish. Take concern to not overdo the sauce, as that can make the baked crust doughy. I think that 1/3 cup of sauce is the perfect amount for this size pizza .
Sprinkle with cheese: We like cheese around here, and add about 6 ounces of shred mozzarella over the pizza sauce. If you can find shred solid milk mozzarella, that ’ s my # 1 choice. It ’ second richer and creamier than the low-moisture, part-skim varieties .
Top with pepperoni: And the final examination topping > > > pepperoni. We like to pile it on !
My favorite pepperoni is the kind that cups up and gets crisp edges from the heat of the oven. current culture has dubbed them “ roni cups ”. I besides refer to them as “ cuppy pepperoni ”. It ’ s very just pepperoni that still has its case – the oven hotness causes it to shrink up, thus curling the slice of pepperoni. Ann Kim, a highly acclaim local anesthetic Minnesota chef and restaurant owner ( 2019 James Beard Award winner for “ Best Chef Midwest ” ), features this style of pepperoni on her pies…and this makes me SO HAPPY !
I love the texture of the roni cup, and how the cook pepperoni ’ s fats pool in the cups that are formed. But for me, there ’ sulfur besides much nostalgia .
When I was very young, I remember my parents taking our family to a bare little cafe along the shore of Lake Traverse – it was called Kaufman ’ randomness, and is no long open. With a dress code nothing fancier than jeans and flip-flops, it was a neighborhood blot to grab fishing bait, some hot bar food, and a cold beer. And my best memories from this place are pizza memories. They served freeze pizza from their short countertop pizza oven…and the pizza had little roni cups, perfectly cuppy and crisp, glistening with pools of fatness. sol amazing beneficial !
Where to find roni cups?! I like to use these roni cups, but I will say that I have been having trouble finding them recently. If you see them, buy them ! otherwise you can buy this connect pepperoni and slit it very thinly yourself. The slice-your-own style is a bit smaller in diameter than the pre-sliced diverseness, but gives the like cuppy pepperoni experience .
Bake the pizza: now let the reduce crust transformation begin. slither that amazing proto-indo european into the oven and bake it. With the screaming hot oven and baking steel, the pizza bakes up in entirely 8 minutes !
first, jiggle the pizza peel a sting. Make certain that no separate of the pizza is sticking to the surface of the peel, or it may be difficult to slide the pizza onto the baking sword properly .
To slide the pizza off, place the undress good above the back of the broil steel at an angle and jiggle slenderly to get the pizza to make contact with the back of the hot bake steel. You may pull the oven rack out of the oven about half-way to make it easier, if you like. When the pizza crust hits the sword, the crust will stick to it. slowly pull the peel out of the oven, letting the entire pizza fall down onto the hot steel .
This takes a little rehearse to get the proper angle and rush, but once you get the technique down, it ’ ll be nothing but PURE FUN !
Remove pizza from oven: Once the crust has browned and the cheese is bubbling, it ’ south easy to remove the pizza from the oven – as the crust is now crisp .
I like to slide the oven scud out about half-way. then I military position the pizza peel off level with the movement of the rack, and slide the bake pie onto the peel off with the help of a big spatula/turner .
All that ’ mho left to do is slice it up and ENJOY!!!
When it comes to a side with pizza, I ’ molarity all about a dear fresh salad. Our kin loves this italian Chopped Salad. It ’ sulfur chockablock of fun bites of delectability and dressed with a extremely alert italian french dressing. We love it !
Another salad suggestion would be to dress your darling greens with this Homemade Buttermilk Ranch dressing. The creamy dress is a great contrast to the pizza, one of our favored salad dressings .
And for some garlic bread playfulness, check out my Cheesy Garlic Bread recipe. It ’ south perfection, with buttery, toasted bread that ’ s easy on the inside and crisp on the outside !
Read more: Who Invented Pizza?
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
It ’ randomness hard to imagine leftovers with pizza this good, but it does happen. : )
To store, place leftover slices of pizza in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to three days .
To reheat, seat desired total of pieces on a plate and gently microwave until hot. Or, if you ’ d like to crisp up the crust again, use the oven and baking steel. This time however, since the pizza has already been baked, preheat the oven and steel to merely 350° F. once preheated, let it heat for another 10 minutes. then plaza pizza on the sword and heat until cheese is bubbling. You may want to place a piece of parchment wallpaper under the pizza slices, so the tall mallow doesn ’ triiodothyronine melt onto the steel. Because who wants extra cleaning duty ? !
Can I Make this Pizza Dough in Advance?
I prefer to make the pizza boodle on the lapp day we bake the pizza, as I simply like how soft and fantastic the boodle is, straight from its rebel. I besides love the aroma in the house as the boodle rises – it creates a fabulous mood that teases us about the delightful pizza we are soon to enjoy !
But this recipe besides works well to make up to a few days in advance. Just follow all the lapp steps, through letting the boodle arise. then place the two pieces of risen dough in one or two airtight containers and refrigerate .
Deli containers work capital for storing pizza dough and early random ingredients and meal leftovers. I have them in three different sizes : 32-ounce containers, 16-ounce containers ( perfect for a one ball of pizza dough ), and the smaller 8-ounce containers. We use these every single day !
On the day you want to make the pizza, remove the dough from the refrigerator. It will credibly have risen even more. Take the dough out of the container and form it into a ball. then place the dough ball in a bowl with a little bite of olive oil and roll it around to coat evenly. lightly spray a piece of fictile envelop with nonstick atomizer and cover the roll, sprayed side devour. Let dough come fully to room temperature before proceeding with rolling it out – this can take up to a couple hours, depending on your room temperature .
Like this pizza crust recipe? Save it to Pinterest!
Continue to Content
Thin Crust Pizza Dough Recipe
2 (14″) pizza crusts
homework clock :
cook prison term :
extra prison term :
total time :
I call this Thin Crust Pizza Dough Recipe my “ fake brick oven pizza recipe ”. It yields a super sparse crust that ‘s crisp and chewy and delicious – and it ‘s made in the kitchen oven !
- 150 ml (5 oz.) warm water
- 1 tsp. dry yeast
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 c. “00” pizza flour – plus additional for flouring the bench or countertop
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 T. olive oil, plus additional to add to bowl when dough balls are rising
- 1 T. cornmeal
- Add warm water to a small liquid measure (I use a 1-cup measure). Be careful to not get the water too hot – I once read to try to mimic the temperature of a warm bottle that you would feed a baby.
- Add sugar to warm water, then sprinkle yeast evenly over the top of the water. Let stand for 15 minutes until frothy.
- Meanwhile, add flour and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Stir to combine.
- Add yeast mixture and olive oil to flour mixture. Combine on low speed for about 30 seconds, just to combine the wet and dry ingredients. Then increase speed to medium and let the dough hook knead the dough for 2 minutes, or until nothing is left in the bottom of the bowl.
- Divide dough into two equal portions. Roll each one into a ball on a clean countertop using the palm and heel of your hand, adding a little flour to the countertop if needed. Drizzle a little olive oil into the bottom of a low wide bowl. Add dough balls and roll them around in the olive oil to coat completely. Spray a piece of plastic wrap lightly with non-stick spray and cover bowl of dough balls, sprayed side down. Let rise at room temperature at least 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Place baking steel in the upper portion of the oven – in our oven, I adjust a rack to the position second from the top. Preheat oven and baking steel to 500° F. Once that temperature has been reached, let the baking steel heat for an additional 20 minutes.
- While oven is preheating, prepare pizza peel by spreading cornmeal evenly over the top.
- Then start rolling out one of the dough balls on a clean countertop lightly dusted with flour. First pat it down into a thick dough round, about 5″ in diameter. Then, using a lightly dusted rolling pin, roll dough round into a 12″ diameter circle, flipping over on the lightly flour-dusted countertop once or twice. Let dough rest for 5 minutes. Then continue to roll the dough into a larger 14″ diameter circle. Fold circle in half and transfer to cornmeal covered pizza peel. (For easy countertop clean-up, use a bench scraper to remove the flour!)
- Brush a thin coating of olive oil over entire crust.
- And then proceed with the toppings! For a basic pepperoni pizza, as shown in my photos: Spread on 1/3 c. thick-style pizza sauce, sprinkle with 6 oz. shredded mozzarella (use whole milk mozzarella, if you can find it), top with pepperoni, as much as you like. If using “roni cup” style pepperoni, know that it will shrink up tremendously, so feel free to crowd on the pepperoni!
- Jiggle the pizza peel a bit, to make certain that no part of the pizza is sticking to the surface of the peel. Then place the peel just above the back of the baking steel at an angle and jiggle slightly to get the pizza to make contact with the back of the hot baking steel. You may pull the oven rack out of the oven about half-way to make it easier, if you like. When the pizza crust hits the steel, the crust will stick to it. Slowly pull the peel out of the oven, letting the entire pizza fall down onto the hot steel.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or until crust is browned and cheese is bubbling. To remove pizza from oven, slide the oven rack out about half-way. Then position the pizza peel level with the front of the rack, and slide the baked pie onto the peel with the help of a big spatula/turner. Then slice it up and ENJOY!
Adapted from a pizza dough recipe used by friends Seth & Paula Kersten in their outdoor pizza oven, originally from my-barbecue.com .
As an Amazon Associate and member of early affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases .
Pizza Peel, Extra Large
type “ 00 ” Pizza Flour
Pepperoni Links with Casing
1-Cup Liquid Measuring Cup
Deli Food Storage Containers, 16 oz .
Amount Per Serving:
Read more: Who Invented Pizza?
nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a dietician and can not guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please count again with your own favored calculator .
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment below. And share a photograph on Instagram with the hashtag # afarmgirlsdabbles !