You ’ ll be impressed with how easy it is to make stuffed crust pizza at home. Add your favorite toppings, use the best sauce and your favorite cheeses to make pizza night way more stimulate. I love this recipe because it ’ south impressive but not a long ton of supernumerary work. Just make sure your pizza crust is sealed well so the cheese doesn ’ t leak out !
Tips and Tricks
What do you serve with this pizza? Cheese stuffed crust pizza is best served with something light to balance out the affluence. I like to serve it with a side of seasonal worker vegetables or an easily slope salad like this brussels sprout salad. Anything that is fresh taste or acidic will go great with pizza !
Reading: Homemade Stuffed Crust Pizza
How do you store cooked pizza? To store leftover pizza, allow it to cool to room temperature and then wrap it in canister foil tightly. Keep in the electric refrigerator for up to three days. You can besides keep it in an airtight food storage container, I find foil is easier for this form. It ’ s important to allow the pizza to cool before storing in the electric refrigerator to avoid boggy pizza .
How do you reheat leftover pizza? I like to eat my pizza cold from the electric refrigerator. If that ’ s not your throng you can reheat leftovers in the oven on a sheet tray at 350 F until warmed through ( about 10 minutes ). Another option if you don ’ metric ton judgment it being a little inert is the microwave. I can besides recommend reheating it in your atmosphere fryer at 325 F for three to five minutes .
- Marinara sauce – use your favorite homemade or jarred sauce
- Parmesan – freshly shredded is the best
- Pizza dough – Homemade or store bought
- String cheese – use full fat mozzarella
- Italian seasoning
- Fontina – A good flavorful melting cheese
- Parsley – an optional garnish
- All purpose flour – for dusting your work surface and dough
See recipe card for quantities .
What are the best types of cheese to use on this pizza? For the stuffed crust depart of the pizza it is important that you use full fatten mozzarella string tall mallow. If you use reduce fat or fat release cheese it will not melt well. If you change the type of tall mallow stick ( like a cheddar ) it will not melt well and will become greasy .
deoxyadenosine monophosphate far as the topping tall mallow, I like to use a combination of fontina and cheddar cheese. Fontina melts well but has thoroughly spirit without being overpowering. Cheddar gives you the supernumerary season. Both cheeses are bang-up to keep in the family and can be used in a kind of recipes. To garnish the pizza I like to use newly grated parmesan, but you can use your front-runner. other options are to use a contribution scan mozzarella to replace the fontina or a pecorino romano to replace the parmesan .
Do you use store bought or homemade dough? I personally buy my own pizza dough freeze from my local grocery store store. however, if you ’ rhenium feel ambitious, an overnight pizza boodle is reasonably comfortable to make ! For this recipe I would not recommend using an already pre-cooked pizza boodle because then you can not stuff the crust .
How do you choose the right mozzarella cheese? When you are looking at string cheese, make surely it is fully fatten mozzarella string cheese. You don ’ t want anything in a seawater or that looks very besotted because it ’ ll make your boodle wet. You want the kind children ( or adults ) eat in the formative envelop. specifically, get full fatty mozzarella to ensure it melt well .
How do you make stuffed crust pizza? Start by preheating your oven to 425 F and lightly flour your cultivate come on and pizza boodle. Stretch pizza dough out until thin and just barely fits on your pizza stone ( or preferred pizza cooking vessel ). Unwrap cheese sticks and tear in half lengthways therefore you have eight to ten pieces of mozzarella sticks. locate these around the edge of the pizza with little to no gaps between pieces. Sprinkle the italian temper over the tall mallow sticks. Starting in one spot, pull up the pizza dough to go over the seasoned mozzarella cheese sticks. Continue this process around the entire edge of the pizza .
once your crust is secure, add your pizza sauce in a thin layer, using the back of a smooch to spread it out evenly inside the crust. Sprinkle the cheddar and fontina cheese evenly over the sauce fortune of the pizza. Place pizza in the oven and fudge for 17-22 minutes until pizza is gold brown university and the tall mallow is melted. Remove pizza from the oven and allow it to rest for three to five minutes before cutting into slices. While still hot, sprinkle with parmesan and impertinently chopped parsley and delight while warm .
Hint : Your pizza boodle should be at room temperature to make it easier to work with !
How do you stretch pizza dough? The easiest way to stretch pizza boodle is to have it at room temperature. next, make certain your coat is well floured and flour the boodle so it isn ’ triiodothyronine awkward. It ’ south easiest to start with a ball of dough that ’ s basically a circle. Starting in the in-between, push down and out with one handwriting. Rotate the dough a quarter turn and continue doing this to slowly push out the boodle. Rotate again and continue for a few turns. Once the dough is starting to get bigger, pick it up in both hands and allow graveness to pull it down, continuing to rotate it. Keep doing this but make sure it doesn ’ metric ton get excessively reduce. Continue this process until it ’ s about the size of your pizza stone. It is approve if it ’ s a small bigger than the pan because you ’ ll be pulling dough over the cheese sticks .
I can’t get my dough to stretch anymore, what can I do? If you ’ ve been stretching your dough and it keeps shrinking, let it rest for five minutes. Walking away for five to ten minutes will allow the dough to relax. Pizza boodle is easier to stretch when it is relaxed .
How do you keep the cheese leaking from the crust? To keep the cheese inside the crust, I seal the boodle actually well. I work slowly around the edges and make indisputable the boodle that I pulled over the cheese adhere is sticking to the base of the pizza. Keep pushing and pinching ! If necessity, use a branching to crimp it together. Try not to make any holes in the crust .
Can I use full cheese sticks instead of halves? Yes, you can because I believe you should measure tall mallow with your heart. If you want the crust extra bum, go for it. You will probably need eight to ten full cheese sticks .
What toppings can you add? You can add your favorite pizza toppings ! Make certain any kernel products are cooked in full ahead adding to the top of a pizza. Vegetables can go on raw or cook depend on the texture you ’ rhenium looking for. Be sure not to add excessively many toppings or you may have a boggy pizza .
- Vegetarian – lemon and broccoli white pizza
- Use up leftovers – butternut squash pizza
- Meat lovers – add your favorite cooked meat like sausage crumbles, pepperoni or meatballs
What’s the best pan/cooking vessel to use? I use a pizza stone to make my pizza. I ’ ve had it everlastingly and it works for us. Another choice is a lubricated broil sheet or a baking steel. Any of these will make a delectable pizza !
Should I preheat the pizza stone? I do not preheat my pizza stone because it ’ south physically besides difficult for me to move it around while hot. You can decidedly preheat yours if you like, the pizza will cook faster so keep an center on it .
Always let your pizza perch for three to five minutes to keep the toppings from sliding around while you cut it. This will besides allow the stuff crust to cool enough to not oozy out at once !
Homemade Stuffed Crust Pizza
Homemade cheese stuffed crust pizza is a capital way to make pizza nox more exciting. Stuffed crust made with mozzarella string cheese makes this a cheese lover ‘s dream pizza .
- 14-16 oz of fresh pizza dough room temperature
- All purpose flour for dusting
- 4-5 full fat mozzarella sticks string cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried italian seasoning
- ¼ cup marinara sauce
- ½ cup impertinently shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup impertinently shredded fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons impertinently shredded parmesan
- Chopped fresh parsley for trim
Prevent your screen from going dark
- Preheat your oven to 425 F .
- thinly flour your shape surface and pizza dough. Stretch pizza boodle out until thin and just barely fits on your pizza stone. space on a pizza rock or an oiled sheet pan, it is all right if it hangs over a little sting .
- Unwrap cheese sticks and tear in half lengthwise so you have 8-10 pieces of mozzarella sticks. topographic point these around the edge of the pizza with little to no gaps between pieces .
- Sprinkle the italian temper over the tall mallow sticks .
- Starting in one position, pull up the pizza dough to go over the seasoned mozzarella tall mallow sticks. Be sure to seal well with your fingers, pizza boodle should stay in put without any serve. Continue this process around the entire edge of the pizza .
- Add your pizza sauce in a thin layer, using the back of a spoon to spread it out evenly inside the ring of thrust crust .
- Sprinkle the cheddar and fontina cheese evenly over the sauce part of the pizza. This is besides a dear fourth dimension to add extra toppings .
- Place pizza in the oven and cook for 17-22 minutes until pizza is golden brown university and the cheese is melted and bubbly .
Remove pizza from the oven and allow it to rest for 3-5 minutes before cutting into slices. While still hot, sprinkle with parmesan and freshly chopped parsley. Cut into 6-8 slices and serve warm.
- Low fat or fat free mozzarella sticks or other types of cheese sticks aren’t recommended because they don’t melt well in this situation. Save those for snacks and go for the full fat mozzarella string cheese sticks.
- You can bake pizza on a pizza stone, baking steel or oiled baking sheet.
- I do not pre-heat our pizza stone because it’s a challenge to transfer the pizza to the hot pizza stone in the oven for me. If you do preheat your vessel, cooking time will vary.
- You can use homemade sauce or jarred sauce for this recipe.
- Parsley is an optional garnish, fresh basil will also work. If you don’t have fresh herbs, sprinkle some dried oregano or Italian seasoning.
- Store in the fridge wrapped in foil for 2-3 days.
- Reheat pizza in the oven at 350 F until warmed through, in the microwave or using your air fryer. I usually eat it cold from the fridge.
- Additional toppings can be added with the shredded cheese, be careful not to overload the pizza or it’ll get soggy. All toppings should be fully cooked before adding to the pizza (like bacon, sausage, meatballs etc).
Tried this recipe ? Want More ? Subscribe to the newsletter for more relish
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don’t leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more guidelines at USDA.gov .