Reading: Baked Homemade Pizza Rolls
This military post was updated in February 2016 .
If you always find yourself in a southerly Indiana grocery store store and see a young match standing in the freeze novelties section shout, “ I LOVE TOTINO ’ S PIZZA ROLLS ” at one another, arrest and introduce yourself because that would be me and my big husband .
*waves* Hi, we ’ ra dorks .
It all comes from this commercial, which is all kinds of pathetic and hilarious. And that means it is fairly game to turn into a Johnston Household Inside Joke. We scream “ I LOVE TOTINO ’ S PIZZA ROLLS ” way more than I feel comfortable accommodate. Some of my identical best slumber parties in middle school were punctuated by the burn of too-hot pizza axial rotation filling on my tongue. Pizza Rolls are little french-fry nostalgia packets. Delicious and sentimental !
unfortunately, Totino ’ s Pizza Rolls don ’ thymine love me ( or more accurately, my body ). They are so delicious and junkfooderific, but my body barely doesn ’ thyroxine seem to do so well with processed foods like these anymore. tied if my beware believes everything in moderation ( including the episodic pizza roll dinner ), my body doesn ’ thymine seem to want to get on board. So ala, I made my own. Are they precisely the same ? No. Do they squash my nostalgia-driven pizza roll cravings ? absolutely !
When I first decided to try my hand at my own pizza rolls, I struggled with trying to figure out how to do the crust/pocket/dough in a way that was delectable, goodly and effective. I wasn ’ thymine about to make my own dough and roll out 40,000 mini squares. Inspiration last struck when I made baked mozzarella sticks— won ton wrappers ! PERFECT .
Wonton wrappers are typically used when fry, but they besides bake up beautifully. They get crisp and golden and hold onto filling like a chomp. My grocery store store ( the one where you ’ ll find me screaming about pizza rolls ) sells them in the natural foods cool near the bean curd and other meat substitutes .
For the occupy, you can go in whatever direction makes you happy. I ’ ve made these without kernel, and they are quite tasty, but my absolute darling way to make them is sovereign style with sausage, mushrooms, peppers, and diced pepperoni. A son of warn, if you do go the supreme route, you ’ re going to result in some greasy pizza rolls. Just dab the grease off with a newspaper towel and happily go on with your day. even with the homemade fine-tune, I still wouldn ’ thymine consider these an casual healthy option. Everything in easing !
And yes, we decidedly started shouting, “ I LOVE JOHNSTON ’ S PIZZA ROLLS ” while consuming these. It ’ sulfur our bite. We ’ re gon na go with it. Take it on the road. We ’ ll make millions !
Baked Homemade Pizza Rolls
48 pizza rolls
homework clock :
cook time :
total time :
Skip the unrecognizable ingredients, and make up a batch of Baked Homemade Pizza Rolls right in your own kitchen ! Perfect for game day snacking .
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large green pepper, diced fine
- 1 small onion, diced fine
- 4 ounces mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup diced pepperoni
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cooking spray
- 1 package wonton wrappers (about 48 wraps)
Read more: The Top 3 Ways to Reheat Pizza—Ranked
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add in the Italian sausage, garlic, green pepper, and onion. Cook until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms and pepperoni, and cook until the mushrooms have just released their water, about 2 minutes. Stir in the marinara, reduce heat, and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in the mozzarella, and set aside. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Arrange three wonton wrappers along the bottom edge of the sheet. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of filling into the middle of each wrapper. Using a finger dipped in water, run along the edge of each wrapper and then fold wrapper in half and press down to seal.
- Continue until baking sheet is filled with pizza rolls (spaced about 1″ apart). Spray tops with cooking spray and bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until rolls are golden and crispy. Repeat process with remaining wraps and filling.
- If pizza rolls are greasy, blot them with paper towels before serving. Let cool 5-10 minutes before serving (filling will be hot).
- Veggie-option: leave out the Italian sausage and the pepperoni when making the filling. You may need to add more olive oil to keep the mushroom mixture form sticking while cooking.
- These reheat great in the air fryer! Six minutes at 390°F worked well, but you might need to experiment with your air fryer to find the right time and temp.
4 pizza rolls
Amount Per Serving:
Read more: The Top 3 Ways to Reheat Pizza—Ranked
At Wholefully, we believe that good nutrition is approximately much more than fair the numbers on the nutriment facts panel. Please use the above information as entirely a belittled contribution of what helps you decide what foods are nourishing for you .