never thought you could make HOMEMADE Pizza Dough ? YOU CAN NOW, with this recipe !
Pin it now to save for later
Reading: Ultimate Pizza Dough Recipe
How to make Pizza Dough Recipe Video
EASIER THAN EVER Pizza Dough Recipe
If I have one precipitation in life, it ’ south carbs. If I was stranded on a deserted island and all I had was a loiter of bread and a bottle of wine, I ’ vitamin d be happy .
You know what would be even better ? CHEESE. Bread and cheese, and wine. And possibly a squarely or two of brownies. No joke, I could live on those few things at every meal every day for the pillow of my life and then I ’ d die fat but happy .
You know what you get when you add boodle + cheese ? PIZZA. I don ’ metric ton evening require sauce, but that makes it even better .
Until I started blogging, I was terrified of yeast and making my own bread and pizza boodle. It was so much easier to buy a tube of boodle or a packaged already baked one, but those never tasted american samoa effective as take-out so I was always left wanting MORE. One day I tried making my own pizza dough and OMG > > life sentence changing .
Making this homemade pizza dough recipe is so much easier than you think it will be.
Get over your fear of yeast, approve ? once you have this recipe down, the world opens up. Pizza, flatbread, cheese breadsticks, dinner rolls …you name it, you can make it with this pizza dough recipe .
Plus, if you make your own pizza at home YOU control the ingredients. There will be less calories than the pizza joint down the road, so you won ’ metric ton tactile property as greasy and guilty subsequently. Be sure to use my Homemade NO COOK Pizza Sauce recipe besides !
Because you know you ’ rhenium gon na go for that 4th slice. Don ’ thyroxine lie to me and tell me you can stop at just one…or two .
How to make my Homemade Pizza Crust Recipe
- Want a whole wheat pizza crust? Sounds good! Use white whole wheat flour instead of all purpose, or go half and half, using all purpose and regular whole wheat flour.
- Want it gluten free? Great! Use a one-to-one gluten free flour that you can substitute for all-purpose.
- Want to make a thick crust pizza? Gotcha covered – this pizza dough recipe makes one 12″ puffy chewy crust.
- Wait, you like thin crust? Okay, perfect. Cut the dough into two pieces and make two 12″ thin crusts.
- Oh, hey, kids coming over for dinner? Cut the dough into 4-6 pieces for PERSONAL pizzas!
- Want breadsticks? NO PROBLEM. Flatten the dough then slice into sticks. (I love cheesy ranch breadsticks!)
THE SKY IS THE LIMIT with this pizza boodle .
What will YOU make with this pizza dough recipe??
What kind of yeast do you use for pizza crust?
There are two kinds of yeast you ’ ll determine at the grocery shop and you can use either one BUT the recipe is different for each .
- Active Dry Yeast is what I’ve used for years. This yeast requires being “bloomed” before you make your dough. In essence, you’ll mix the active-dry yeast with hot water and some sugar and let it sit and ferment for a few minutes. Then you’ll add the bubbly mixture to your dry ingredients and oil. Active dry yeast dough requires a rising time – usually and hour or two – so that the dough doubles in size before baking with it.
- Fast Acting Yeast (aka Rapid Rise Yeast or another name dependent on brand) is just that: it works faster. There is no need to proof the yeast with the hot water; when using fast acting yeast you just add it to the dry ingredients. You then add the hot water to the dry ingredients and mix until the dough comes together. Another plus of fast-acting yeast: little or no rise time. Most of them just need to rest for about 10 minutes before rolling out.
Most recipes are written for one yeast or the early because the different yeasts require different methods. I ’ ve saved you some clock time and am showing you directions for how to make pizza crust from both kinds of yeast !
Make pizza dough with Active Dry Yeast
When you ’ re using active dry yeast you need to proof it first base, so the march goes like this :
- Heat the water to 110-115°F and add the sugar and yeast to the water, stir. Let it sit to activate (or bloom) for about 5 minutes.
- Stir together the flour, salt and oil.
- Once the yeast is bubbly, add it to the dry ingredients and mix or knead with a stand mixer (or by hand) until the dough is sticky but not wet.
- Knead it on a lightly floured surface, then add it to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let it rise until doubled in size (about 1-2 hours).
- Then you can make your pizza!
Making pizza crust with Instant Yeast
moment yeast ( aka Rapid Rise Yeast, if you ’ re using Fleischmann ’ sulfur ) is my FAVORITE to use because it takes all the guess out of it. I HIGHLY recommend using Instant Yeast in this recipe .
There ’ s no proofread and less ascent time when you ’ re using blink of an eye yeast !
- Whisk the dry ingredients together (1 cup of flour, sugar, salt and the yeast – no proofing, remember!)
- Heat the water to between 120°-130°F and add the oil, then add it to the wet ingredients.
- Mix or knead with the dough hook to moisten, then add the rest of the flour and run the mixer until the dough forms a loose and slightly sticky ball.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead until the dough forms a ball and, when touched with two fingers, the dough bounces back.
- REST for 10 minutes – that’s it!
- Make your pizza.
Do you need particular tools for making homemade pizza dough ? No you don ’ thyroxine, but it can make things go faster. Some things that make it easier :
- I like using an instant read thermometer to make sure my water is the correct temperature. If you don’t have one, think hot bathwater when you touch it.
- A stand mixer makes the dough come together easily when you use the dough hook. Using a stand mixer just means you’ll have less kneading time by hand.
- I like using a pizza pan or pizza stone for baking my pizza. But you can just use a large cookie sheet as well.
Making Gluten-Free Pizza Dough
You can swap out the general-purpose flour for the 1:1 gluten-free AP flour. Bob ’ second Red Mill is my darling kind, it ’ s a light bluing bag .
If you ’ re making this gluten-free, know that the dough is not going to rise. I let mine sit, but the gluten doesn ’ t shape, because, obviously. indeed rather you good press the boodle into the pan alternatively of rolling it out. The end leave is more like a crunchy crust/chewy cracker .
Making Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
To make this whole wheat, you have a few options :
- Use the same amount white whole wheat flour instead of all purpose.
- Use 1 cup whole wheat flour and the rest all-purpose.
Baking tips for pizza:
- It’s very important that you have your oven preheated very hot, and that you preheat your pan, especially if you want a crunchy crust.
- Put the pan in the oven to preheat while the oven heats. Make your pizza on a parchment paper then carefully transfer it to the hot pan (on the parchment). It’ll sear the bottom to give it a browned and crunchier feel than if you just put the dough on the pan and bake it.
- Make thin crust pizza by cutting the dough in half to make TWO pizzas.
- Make thick crust pizza by using the dough for just one pizza.
- Make Breadsticks by flattening them and using my Cheesy Ranch Breadstick topping!
What’s the secret to crispy pizza crust? To make a flimsy or crisp crust divide the dough in half before forming. That means it ’ randomness not as gusty and will crisp up better. How do I make the bottom of my pizza crust crispy? Either divide the dough in half to make a thin crust or bake the dough for 5 minutes before adding the toppings. Can I make pizza crust ahead of time? Make this pizza dough up to 24 hours ahead of time and store in the refrigerator covered with credit card envelop. Or you can freeze it ! What yeast is best for pizza dough? It fair depends on how much fourth dimension you have for rising. You can use active dry yeast or blink of an eye yeast – this recipe shows both ways. How to freeze homemade pizza dough stead it in an airtight container or gallon size sealable bag. freeze for up to one month. How to thaw homemade pizza dough Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then allow to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature. Can I flavor my pizza dough? If you want to make your pizza dough preference evening better add some dried herb ( up to 1 teaspoon of your favorite ) to the boodle while mixing. How do you stretch out pizza dough? I like to use my hands to stretch it deoxyadenosine monophosphate much as possible and press it into the size I want. You can besides use a wheeling peg.
Pizza Recipes to live by:
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @ crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it # crazyforcrust
The ULTIMATE Pizza Dough Recipe
This is the ULTIMATE Pizza Dough Recipe ! This easy pizza crust can be made thick or thin or personal sized with whole wheat or gluten spare flour. It can be baked or grilled and topped with whatever you like for the best dinner ( or evening dessert ) .
Leave a Review
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons 1 convention sized mailboat active-dry or fast-acting yeast see instructions for different bake directions
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated boodle
- 1 teaspoon strategic arms limitation talks
- 3 tablespoons
Read more: The Top 3 Ways to Reheat Pizza—Ranked
- 3 cups all purpose flour approximate, see notes for alternative flours
If using ACTIVE DRY YEAST:
Measure warm water (between 100°-110°F) in a measuring cup, then add the yeast and sugar. Stir gently, then let sit until it’s active and foamy. This will happen within 5 minutes. If it doesn’t, your water may have been too hot or cold or your yeast may be old. It is important to use a thermometer to measure your water temp. An instant read thermometer is best but in a pinch a meat thermometer will do.
- Stand mixer cooking : add salt, petroleum, and 2 cups of flour to the mix bowl. Attach the boodle hook to the stand sociable. Stir the flour mix lightly while adding the proofed yeast assortment. Run the mixer on low travel rapidly until the mixture is combined and moisture and then add the third cup of flour. The assortment should come together into a ball that is fair a bit muggy .
- By hand planning : touch salt, anoint, and 2 cups flour in a large desegregate stadium, stirring in the yeast mix as you go, using a wooden smooch. Add the one-third cup of flour and then stir until you can ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate anymore. Remove the spoon and then use your hands to work the dough into a ball that is slenderly gluey .
- spray a second big bowl with nonstick cook spray, add your pizza dough ball, then spray the top lightly with cooking atomizer and cover tightly with fictile wrap. place in a warm area of the kitchen and let rise until doubled in size, about 1-2 hours .
If using FAST-ACTING YEAST:
Mix 1 cup flour with salt, sugar, and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer. Set aside. If doing this by hand, just mix it in a large bowl.
Measure warm water (between 120°-130°F) in a measuring cup. Add the oil. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with dough hook, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed, until a wet mixture forms. Add one more cup flour and continue mixing, then add as much flour as you need for the dough to come together in a ball (about ¾ cup – 1 cup). If doing this by hand, use a wooden spoon until you can’t anymore then get your hands in the bowl.
Turn out dough onto a floured surface. Knead for just a few minutes, or until the dough comes together and springs back when pressed with two fingers. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
When you’re ready to bake:
- note : this pizza boodle can make 1 slurred crust or 2 thin crust 10-12 ” pizza, or 4-6 humble personal sized pizza .
- When ready to make pizza : turn out dough onto a lightly floured cutting board or a sail of parchment newspaper. Sprinkle with more flour if needed indeed you can stretch and flatten the dough into your coveted size .
Cut parchment paper to fit the pan you’re using, hanging over just about an inch on all sides our circumference. Preheat oven to 500°F. Place pizza pan in the oven while the oven is preheating. Place your pizza dough on the sized parchment paper and top as desired. Once the oven is up to temperature, carefully transfer the pizza to the hot pan (be careful – pan is HOT). Cook until the cheese is melted and crust is slightly browned, 10-20 minutes depending on thickness, size, and toppings.
Whole wheat pizza crust : Use white whole pale yellow flour alternatively of all purpose, or go half and half, using all aim and regular unharmed wheat flour .
Gluten free ? great ! Use a one-to-one gluten spare flour that you can substitute for general-purpose. The dough north korean won ’ thyroxine rise and will have a slenderly different texture .
Thick crust pizza : this pizza dough recipe makes one 12″ bouffant chewy crust .
Thin crust : Cut the boodle into two pieces and make two 12″ thin crusts .
Cut the boodle into 4-6 pieces for PERSONAL pizza !
Breadsticks ? NO PROBLEM. Flatten the boodle then slice into sticks .
Fast acting yeast is called by different names depending on stigmatize. Fleischmann ’ s Yeast calls it Rapid Rise, for example .
nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
Click HERE for more PIZZA RECIPES !
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
Learn how to make the ULTIMATE Pizza Dough recipe ! This homemade pizza crust is easy to make for ANY pizza recipe – you can make it regular, whole wheat or even gluten rid pizza ! Learn every step so that it ’ s beyond easily to make your own pizza at home .
last Updated on August 24, 2021
All textbook and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without anterior license. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link binding to this post for the recipe. disclaimer : nutriment data shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
Read more: Homemade Oat Flour Pizza Crust
Join for FREE to start saving your darling recipes Create an score easily save your darling contentedness, so you never forget a recipe again .Sign Up Now This post may contain consort links. For more information, read my disclosure policy .