Instant Microwave Macaroni and Cheese
Instant Microwave Macaroni and Cheese is a total game changer ~ this easy recipe makes a single serving ultra creamy mug of cheesy macaroni in just minutes, right in the microwave! This is the ultimate dorm room meal or after school snack.
Instant microwave mac & cheese is the answer to mid day cravings!
I tend to get crazy hunger spikes in the middle of the day, and for some reason I have a engine block against buying anything remotely appropriate for lunch when I ’ megabyte at the supermarket. I ’ thousand constantly stuck roaming around the kitchen hunting for something, anything, to deal with my acute mid-day munchies, so think my exhilaration at finding an moment deep and creamy macaroni and cheese… for one… in a mug… made right in the microwave !
Macaroni and cheese for one is perfect if you live alone (or just happen to be alone and hungry)
No leftovers to tempt you into eating excessively much, or to go to waste ! We tested this a solid bunch together of times, and came to the decision that this recipe works best. Kids can do it themselves after school. or in a dormitory. If you like macaroni and cheese, you ’ re going to want to give this a try, trust me. It may take a few tries to get it right for your mug and your microwave, but it will be worth it .
What you’ll need to make microwave macaroni and cheese
This is quick and easy, but because we ’ rhenium dealing with a recipe for one, and a microwave, it is reasonably precise, so listen up carefully — you ’ ll necessitate good a few simple things to get started —
- a large mug
- a liquid measuring cup
- a 1/3 cup dry measuring cup
- elbow noodles
- some pre-shredded cheese
- a little milk
- and water.
Once you’ve got the recipe down, you can experiment with variations
But for the first time I suggest trying it as written. I found that boughten finely chopped tall mallow worked best, and made the creamiest sauce. I used a cheddar/Monterey Jack blend, but other blends will besides work. I used hale milk. My mug had a 1 2/3 cup ( 400 milliliter ) capacity. My microwave is a fairly standard 1000 watt .
How to make microwave macaroni and cheese ~
- Put 1/3 cup of elbow noodles into your mug. Add a scant 1/2 cup of water to it. Be sure to use a liquid measuring cup to measure your water. And by scant, I mean just shy of 1/2 cup.
- Basically you will microwave this mixture until the water has evaporated. In my microwave this takes about 4 minutes.
- Microwave it for 2 minutes to start, then stir. Then another minute, and stir again. Then a final minute, and the water should be absorbed. If not, microwave a bit more until it is.
- Stir in your milk and cheese, and microwave for a final 30-60 seconds. Stir very well to blend everything together into a creamy sauce, and enjoy.
This might just be the best kitchen hack ever!
The microwave is the unappreciated hero of flying and easily food, just check out my other microwave recipes !
What kind of cheese to use for microwave macaroni and cheese?
- We tried this many different ways, and found that the pre-packaged grated cheese made the creamiest sauce. I was stumped about that until I read the ingredients and saw that there is some starch added to prevent clumping in pre-shredded cheese. I think this may also help thicken the sauce. Not sure, just a guess.
- We tried grating our own cheeses and the sauce came out thinner. In that case I added a pinch (1/8 teaspoon) of cornstarch to the milk, and that seemed to help with thickening.
I have eaten so much macintosh & cheese in the past few days of testing that I am wholly vomit of it, so now it ’ s your turn — Let me know in the comments is you try this, and what worked and didn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate cultivate for you !
Tips for making microwave macaroni and cheese ~
- Use a big mug. Mine had a 1 2/3 cup (400 ml) capacity.
- My microwave is a fairly standard 1000 watts. If yours is different you’ll have to tweak the timing.
- Use elbow pasta, anything larger will not cook quickly enough.
- Whole milk seems to work best, although feel free to use cream or half and half for a decadent treat.
- Measure carefully and accurately according to the recipe directions. Use a liquid measuring cup for the liquid, and a dry measuring cup for the solids.
- Cook your noodles until all of the water has all been absorbed. Check carefully after the 4 minutes, and if there is still any water left in your mug, keep microwaving in short bursts until it is absorbed. Microwaves, like ovens, can be finicky.
- Set your mug on a small plate to catch any water overflow.
- Pre-packaged finely shredded cheese made the creamiest thickest sauce. If you are grating your own cheese, you might experiment with adding a pinch of cornstarch to the milk and cheese.
- Stir well after adding the cheese and microwaving for the final 30-60 seconds. The sauce will develop and get creamy as you stir. It will continue to thicken as it sits. You can reheat it briefly if you like.
- If despite doing everything right you still end up with a thin sauce, you may have had extra water left in your pasta after the initial cooking, Check it carefully because water = watery sauce.
- Once you’ve got the basic operation down, experiment to your heart’s content with different cheeses, etc.
Save Recipe Saved!
Instant Mac & Cheese in a Mug
Instant Microwave Macaroni and Cheese in a Mug ~ this easy recipe makes a single suffice extremist creamy countenance of bum macaroni in merely minutes !
Prevent your screen from going dark
- 1/3 cup little macaroni elbow noodles, uncooked !
- a scant 1/2 cup water
- a skimp 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup pre-packaged finely shredded cheese we like a cheddar/jack blend
- Put the macaroni and the water into a mug. Microwave on fully power for 2 minutes. Stir. ( note : the water will boil over barely a bit, that is fine )
- Microwave for another hour. Stir .
- Microwave for a fourth moment, and then check to see that all the water has been absorbed. If not, microwave a act more, until it is gone .
- Stir in the milk and chopped cheese and microwave for a final 30-60 seconds. Stir well, and enjoy .
If you are grating your own cheese, try adding a pinch ( 1/8 tsp ) of cornstarch to the milk .
If you ’ re a macintosh and cheese freak out like I am, try these other recipes ~
- CACIO E PEPE MACARONI AND CHEESE
- 4 ALARM MACARONI AND CHEESE
- BREAKFAST MACARONI AND CHEESE
- SMOKED GOUDA MACARONI AND CHEESE
The nutritional information for recipes on this site is provided as a courtesy and although theviewfromgreatisland.com tries to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
Read more: Microwaved Corn on the Cob