How To Install Over-The-Range Microwave Without A Cabinet
Installing a microwave over a range seems difficult, but it doesn ’ t need to be. You can do it several ways, but the easiest is to use brackets. Follow along as we explore the tools and materials that you ’ ll need to install a microwave over a image . Microwaves are a vital part of our on-the-go lifestyles. The public toilet of promptly heating a meal is something most american households consider a must-have. But sometimes, fitting them into your kitchen plan scheme can be a challenge .
Most microwaves are designed to fit underneath an upper kitchen cabinet. Without a cabinet, your best bet is to create a fake cabinet or shelf above the microwave for mounting. As an alternative, there are certain kinds of brackets made to support microwaves in this situation.
Related Content: Can An Over-The-Range Microwave Be Used On A Countertop ? | Can Any Microwave Be Mounted Under A Cabinet ? | Do Microwaves Need To Be Vented ?
Do You Need Appliance Repair Services ?
Get barren, zero-commitment quotes from professional contractors near you .
FIND LOCAL CONTRACTORS
Why A Cabinet?
Most microwaves are designed to be supported by a kitchen cabinet. They are supported first by a mounting denture on the wall. This creates a small brim for the bed rear edge of the microwave to rest on. however, it doesn ’ thyroxine provide enough support to hold it overall .
Microwaves are then normally attached with screws from the upper cabinet into the top of the appliance. This allows the microwave to “ hang ” from the cabinet while being held by the mount plate. alternatively of a cabinet, you must design something from which to “ hang ” the microwave .
The other reason for having a cabinet above the microwave is to conceal cords and ducts. The appliance has to plug in somewhere, and wires hanging above a stove are both dangerous and unsightly. many over-the-range microwaves include a vent have, which requires a duct if venting to the external .
The Vent Dilemma
This wonder gets asked a lot in home improvement circles. Do you in truth need a vent for your stove and oven ? Does it matter if the vent is internal or external ?
legally, no, you don ’ thymine always need a release for an electric stove. But practically, your kitchen will get smoky and greasy without one regardless of the type of stove you own .
Vents that release kitchen exhaust externally will be more effective but require much more in-depth work. You may need to bring in an HVAC master to run ducts through your walls so the vent can exit your roof or outside wall. This can be dearly-won, but a good investment .
For renters who can ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate cut into their walls, an inner release is sufficient. An inner vent sucks up the breeze and recirculates it in the room like a winnow. distillery helpful for when you burn the burgers you ’ re trying to make for dinner .
Because both of these vents draw air up from underneath the microwave, putting it on a shelf above the stave is not an option. This placement inhibits airflow. Plus, it allows the shelf to get sticky with grease, precisely what the winnow is trying to avoid .
Microwaves might not look very big, but they can be heavy. It’s essential to make sure that whatever installation technique you use is sturdy enough to hold the microwave safely.
When mounting any type of load-bearing holder on the rampart, make sure you ’ re boring into the stud. Screwing into the house ’ randomness defend structure will guarantee stability, where merely screwing into the wallboard will not. even anchors or toggle switch bolts made to secure heavy items into wallboard have a higher gamble of failing over time .
For the same reason, microwave installation is a two-person problem. It ’ second about impossible to simultaneously hold the weight of the appliance and attach a support structure. Grab a friend or partner to assist you : your back will be glad you did .
As with any home improvement project, it ’ s well if you consult with a professional. If you have any doubts as to the morphologic stability of your microwave, get a moment impression. Better to spend a little money to do it right now than have to do it all complete again late !
Options For Installation
There are two options for installing an over-the-range microwave with a vent attached. One is to build a shelf above to mimic the subscribe of a cabinet. The early is to use wall-mounted accessory brackets explicitly designed for microwaves .
Wall-Mounted Microwave Brackets
There are a variety of bracket options on the commercialize that call to hold up microwaves safely. When mounting this appliance above a range, it ’ randomness essential to ensure that the brackets don ’ metric ton interfere with the fan ’ s airflow .
The best kind of bracket for this application looks like a pair of stainless steel steel arms that hold the microwave from underneath. They attach to the bottom of the microwave for support, one on each side, running parallel to the appliance ’ s short side .
These brackets can be found on-line and in peculiarity appliance stores. Some big-box home improvement stores carry them, but others deem them excessively much of a specialization token to stock .
Tools & Materials:
- Measuring record
- Stud finder
- Cordless drill
- 2.5 or 3-inch wood screws ( to attach the bracket to the stud )
- Self-tapping screws for metal ( to attach the bracket to the microwave )
- A drill spot that matches screws ( Phillips headway or star bit, depending on your screws )
- A buddy to help with the heavy lift
- Wall-mounted microwave brackets ( 2 )
- Determine the location of the microwave. Make certain it ’ mho centered over the compass and that the bottomland of the microwave is at least 30 inches above the cooktop. guarantee there ’ s an electric mercantile establishment within reach of the cord and vent in identify, if necessary .
- Draw a line where you want the bottom of the microwave to be. Make certain it ’ mho charge, and find where the stud are located in the wall. ideally, your microwave will be placed evenly between them .
- Using a stud finder to confirm your placement ,attach the brackets into the studs. Use a drill and 2.5 ” screws .
- Set the microwave on the brackets. target it so the arms support the flat sphere on the bottom out edges without blocking the vent area. Push the microwave back against the wall.
Read more: Microwave Corn on the Cob – The BEST Way!
- Using self-tapping screws ,secure the microwave to the bracket by screwing up through the bracket and into the appliance .
Shelf Above The Microwave
Let ’ s call option this one the “ fake cabinet. ” Using this method acting, we ’ rhenium creating a shelf that ’ randomness hardy enough to serve the lapp function as a cabinet would. For the ledge to support the weight of the microwave “ hanging ” on it, the shelf must be super secure .
The brackets used here are the kind where the ledge hangs at the bottom of the brackets. They can be reasonably cosmetic, but make certain you get something uncompromising. Metal works better than formative here, though sturdy wood can besides suffice .
The finish is for these brackets to look cosmetic but besides distribute the slant of the microwave. Triangles make things stronger : in engineering, they distribute the warhead in bridges and other commercial applications .
Tools & Materials:
- Measuring magnetic tape
- Stud finder
- Cordless drill
- 2.5 or 3-inch wood screws ( to attach the bracket to the dot )
- Self-tapping screws for metallic element ( to attach the bracket to the microwave )
- A drill sting that matches screws ( Phillips head or star bite, depending on your screws )
- A buddy to help with the fleshy raise
- Pre-cut ledge or hardy wood substantial
- trilateral brackets designed to hold a shelf from above
- Determine the location of the microwave. Center the microwave over the range and ensure that the microwave ’ sulfur bottom is at least 30 inches above the cooktop. see there ’ s an electrical wall socket within pass of the cord and discharge in place, if necessity .
- Determine the placement of the shelf. It will sit flush with the crown of the microwave, so draw a trace where the microwave ’ south top will be. This tune will mark the bottom of your ledge .
- Locate the studs in your wall. This application should not be trusted using precisely wallboard anchors or toggle bolts. Using a stud finder, confirm that you have wood to screw the brackets into .
- Align the bottom of the brackets with the line you ’ ve disembowel .Screw the brackets into the wall with 2.5 or 3-inch screws at the bed, top, and middle if possible. You may need to drill additional holes into the brackets to have more places to screw.
- Install the microwave as per the manufacturer ’ randomness instructions, including using the mounting denture on the rear wall. once you set the microwave on the mount plate, make the appliance ’ s top boundary blush with the shelf .
- Using self-tapping screws ,secure the microwave to the shelf by screwing down through the wood and into the appliance .
Do You Need Appliance Repair Services ?
Get free, zero-commitment quotes from professional contractors near you .
FIND LOCAL CONTRACTORS
Where are other places I could mount a microwave?
many newer kitchens feature a fancy built-in microwave draftsman. It slides open like any other drawer, but shroud inside is a special top-loading microwave. The Rolls Royce of appliance !
alternative under-counter applications exist, excessively. Some brackets will mount a microwave to the bottom of a cabinet. These styles hook in underneath but screw in from above .
The kind of microwave you put under the counter is not the kind made to vent a stove, obviously .
If all else fails, there ’ s no dishonor with a microwave just sitting on a kitchen rejoinder. If space is at a premium, consider putting it in a superior area like on top of the refrigerator or a shelf. A wind handcart or island can besides be handy in kitchens with minimal counter space .
Who can I reach out to for help with installation?
For ductwork and vent, an HVAC contractile organ is your best friend. They know the ins and outs of running ventilation through all kinds of walls without making a boastful mess. HVAC pros can advise you on the best means to install an outwardly venting crop hood and do it in no time .
Have you lost the instruction manual of arms for your microwave ? It happens all the time .
The manufacturer ’ s web site much has links to the initiation guides. YouTube is besides a valuable resource : any question you have, person else has had before .
If the unharmed initiation process has you puzzled, call a general contractile organ or handyperson. They ’ ll have the construction know-how and all the tools needed to do the job justly. Make certain they ’ re licensed and insured, just in case anything goes askew.
Stacy Randall is a wife, beget, and freelancer writer from NOLA that has constantly had a love for DIY projects, home administration, and making spaces beautiful. in concert with her husband, she has been spending the end several years fondly renovating her grandparent ’ s former home, making it their own and learning a bunch about life along the way .