HHW must be handled and disposed of with care in ordering to avoid polluting the environment and possible health hazards .
The Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center located at 6411 Oak Canyon in Irvine is open Tuesday – Saturday, 9 ante meridiem to 3 post meridiem and is closed on holidays and showery days. For information on other collection centers in Orange County, please click hera.
Reading: Household Hazardous Waste
The following items are considered household hazardous waste:
• Aerosols ( paint, cleaners, lubricants ) • Antifreeze
• Automotive Fluids • Auto polish & wax
• Batteries ( car & family ) • Cleaning Solution
• Compact Fluorescent Light-bulbs ( CFLs )
• Cosmetics ( smash polish & remover )
• Electronic-Waste • Fertilizers • Fire Extinguishers
• Furniture polish & wax • Herbicides
• Mercury Thermometers • Motor Oil
• Oil filters • Paint • Pesticides
• Pool Supplies • Sharps/Needles
Read more: Microwave Corn on the Cob
*Please keep in beware that it is illegal to transport more than 15 gallons or 125 pounds of HHW per trip ( Department of Transportation requirement ).
Read more: Microwave Baked Potato – Baking Mischief
Pollution Prevention Tips
- Use water-based paints instead of oil-based. Often water-based paints are labeled with the word “latex”.
- Don’t rinse paint brushes outside in the street. Clean water-based paint brushes in the sink and oil-based paint brushes by using paint thinner.
- Keep leftover paint well sealed and in a place where it doesn’t have the potential to leak out into storm water runoff.
- Recycle unwanted paint, free of charge, at a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center.
- Read the product label and follow the directions carefully.
- Be careful to only use the required amount. Using more will not necessarily render the product more effective.
- Spot treat whenever possible instead of placing “blanket” applications on your lawn.
- Avoid applying near driveways or gutters where pollutants can easily run into the street and storm drain.
- Check your local forecast and make sure that you don’t apply before you think it’s going to rain because the pollutants will be carried off your lawn and into the street and storm drains.
- Avoid purchasing aerosol sprays because it is difficult to control the spread of the pesticide.
- Store products in a contained area and ensure that they are adequately sealed.
- Use non-toxic alternatives whenever possible.
Always take undesirable materials, free of charge, to a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center .
*Please note that medications and pharmaceuticals can not be taken to the County of Orange ’ s Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers. alternatively, leftover or unused medication should be disposed of in the methamphetamine. hera are the disposal instructions :
- Crush unused medication
- Mix with undesirable material (i.e. coffee grounds, dirt, kitty litter, etc.)
- Put it into the trash in a securely sealed container so children and animals cannot get to them
besides, don ’ triiodothyronine forget to take advantage of the County ’ s “ Stop & Swap ” course of study. The “ Stop & Swap ” plan is available at the County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center and allows you to drop off any products that you might no long need such as paint, fertilizers, and electronic waste .