Between salads, soups, vegetable dishes, and even baked goods, the uses for sorghum are dateless. hera ’ mho everything you need to know about this nutrient-rich granulate ( including where to buy it, store it, and how to cook it ) .
What is sorghum?
Get ready for your raw darling granulate : genus sorghum. Referred to as a “ ace grain, ” genus sorghum is normally found in asian and african cuisines .
It ’ randomness known as a very environmentally-friendly crop because it doesn ’ t function as many natural resources to grow as other grains. This makes it an ideal livestock feed — something it ’ second frequently used for.
Reading: Sorghum 101: How To Cook Sorghum
It ’ randomness versatile in the ways that it can be cooked, making it great for including in all kinds of meals. Plus, its many forms allow it to be used across all types of cooking — it even comes as a syrup !
Where to buy sorghum
sorghum can be found at some grocery stores alongside the grains and rice products. It can besides be found on-line at places like Amazon, Bob ’ south Red Mill, and Nu Life Market .
Variations of sorghum
Sorghum comes in many different varieties, most of which will credibly come as a surprise ! For case, did you know you can use sorghum as a flour in bake goods ? Yep !
- Whole grain: Whole grain sorghum comes with all of the parts of the grain intact.
- Pearled grain: Pearled sorghum comes with the bran and part of the germ removed, so it is mainly just the kernel.
- Flaked grain: Finally, flaked sorghum is just that – flaked! It is a crunchier option and looks more like a cereal than a round grain.
aside from the grains, sorghum besides comes in many other forms : flour ( both white and solid grain ), bran, syrup, and even popcorn !
The benefits of sorghum
Sorghum ’ s benefits extend beyonds its good military rank with the environment. It ’ sulfur healthy, excessively ! Each cup of uncooked sorghum contains huge nutrients and vitamins .
- 20g protein
- 12g fiber
- Vitamins B1, B2, B5, & B6
…and the list goes on ! Thanks to these properties, sorghum is a very fill granulate and a great option for using in place of rice or quinoa .
How to cook sorghum
Sorghum is a versatile grain in that it can be cooked multiple ways : stove top, slow cooker, oven, etc. I ’ ll be showing you how to cook it on the stave, just like rice !
- Sorghum: We will begin with 1 cup of dried sorghum.
- Water or Broth: For each cup of sorghum, we need 3 cups of liquid. You can use either water or broth.
- Salt: Finally, you’ll want to use a pinch of salt to flavor things up a bit.
- Cook the sorghum: To start, combine the sorghum and water (or broth) in a large pot. If you’re using water, add a generous pinch of salt to the pot. Bring it to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Let it rest: After cooking, let the sorghum stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Drain the excess moisture from the pot and fluff with a fork. Season with salt to taste.
How to store sorghum
genus sorghum can be stored for a pretty adequate sum of time, much like other grains. It can besides be frozen ( after cooking ! ) and reheated subsequently, which is capital for having almost-ready meals on hand .
- Uncooked: Store uncooked sorghum grains in the pantry in a sealed, airtight container. They will stay fresh for about 4 months.
- Cooked: Cooked sorghum should be kept in the refrigerator and eaten within a couple of days. If freezing, eat within 6 months.
Does sorghum contain gluten?
Sorghum is gluten spare ! not entirely does this make sorghum-based meals great for a crowd, it besides means that the flour adaptation can be used for gluten-free bake. I bet you never imagined using sorghum in your brownies !
How to serve sorghum
genus sorghum may be a modern ingredient to you, but the direction you use it doesn ’ t have to be ! This grain can be used anywhere you ’ vitamin d use rice or quinoa. Eat it with veggies ( like in these Roasted Veggie Grain Bowls ), in stuff peppers, as a base to your Buddha lawn bowling, or a filling component in your goodly meal homework ! There are so many options. I can ’ thyroxine expect for you to see how delectable it is !
Our quick guide to cooking sorghum on the stove perfectly every time!
1 cup sorghum 180 gigabyte
3 cups water or broth 708 milliliter
touch of salt
Cook: Combine sorghum and water (or broth) in a large pot. If using water, add a generous pinch of salt to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 45 to 60 minutes.
Rest: Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Drain excess moisture from the pot, then fluff sorghum with a fork. Season with salt, to taste.
cup cooked (¼ uncooked)
Read more: Baked Potato In The Microwave