When you crave pizza, you have to find something to feed the crave.
You could decree take-out, run to the store for a frozen pie or take-and-bake, or whip up a homemade pizza dough. All of those have their proper times and places .
But sometimes, you want that pizza tout de suite .
And that ’ randomness where the Pizza Bagel is a perfect campaigner .
Quick & Easy Pizza Bagels Recipe
Like early agile pizza, a pizza bagel can be made in less than 15 minutes. Grab a bagel, slice it in half so you have two rounds, spread some tomato sauce, a few pepperoni, and a sprinkle of cheese. Slide it in the oven, and voila !
Pizza Bagels are served !
These delectable morsels of tall mallow, sauce, and bagel take me binding in time to my senior high school school days when the educate district did not provide a full cafeteria. You could take the 30 minutes and try to book it to a nearby restaurant, pack a lunch and don ’ triiodothyronine let anyone see you eat it, or make do with the circumscribed bite bar .
The nosh legal profession sold such wholesome main dishes as Chili Cheese Fries, Nachos, and Pizza Bagels. And they were delectable. Yes, yes, they were .
I can picture those Pizza Bagels nowadays. They had been prepped in a kitchen off-site : solid bagel, not split, slathered with sauce, and layered with a slit of cheese. They were kept ardent until lunch I guess .
And we liked them fine, particularly since they cost just a buck fifty dollar bill .
however, these days you can make your own ! Better tasting and I imagine more alimentary !
What ingredients do you need to make pizza bagels?
This recipe is simple, requiring just a handful of ingredients. Like early pizza recipes, you can mix and match whatever sauce, cheese, and topping combination you like, making it a great option for clearing out the electric refrigerator .
here is what you need at the basic :
- Bagels – Use your favorite kind and split them in half
- Pizza sauce – you can use store bought but it’s super simple and cheaper to make your own pizza sauce at home. Try making my homemade pizza sauce recipe or even my no cook pizza sauce. But, remember you can also use a sauce like pesto or BBQ sauce.
- Mozzarella cheese – when I find cheese on sale I like stock up and stash it in my freezer. It’s just one way my freezer is my BFF.
- Pizza toppings – You really can top these with whatever you want: pepperoni, sausage, veggies, pineapple, bacon. Keep it simple with just cheese like the lunch ladies or jazz it up.
What kind of bagels should you use for pizzas?
theoretically, you can use whatever bagels you like, however, the piquant nature of the toppings dictates that you avoid blueberry, cinnamon, or cranberry bagels and stick to the savory or plain ones such as :
- whole wheat
How long do I cook pizza bagels?
A pizza bagel shouldn ’ t take long to bake, merely about 8 to 10 minutes depending on how much cheese you add on acme .
How do you make pizza bagels?
- Preheat the oven to 475°. Line a baking sheet with parchment to catch the melted cheese that will be a bear to scrub off if it burns.
- Split the bagels in half horizontally. Place the bagel halves on a baking sheet.
- Spread the sauce over the surface of the bagels. Layer on your toppings. Sprinkle on the cheese, according to taste.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.
- Serve immediately or once they cool, wrap and refrigerate to reheat later or eat cold.
TOPPINGS FOR PAN PIZZA
You can keep it simple or feel free to have some fun and creative with your toppings. here are a few playfulness ways to do just that :
How much do pizza bagels cost to make?
You know that I ’ m a huge advocate of making homemade because it tastes better and costs less money. Let ’ s crush the numbers to see what it actually costs .
Purchased at non-sale prices at a mid-range grocery store storehouse, the ingredients for this dish break down as follows :
- bagels – $1.32 ($1.99/6)
- pizza sauce – $0.25 ($1/16 oz)
- mozzarella cheese – $1.88 ($1.88/8oz)
- pepperoni – $0.83 ($2.50/6oz)
A batch of pizza bagels costs $4.28 or 54 cents a serving! a lot, much less than what the lunch dame was charging back in 1987 .
I ’ m not sure where you can buy pizza bagels these days besides the deep-freeze section, but let ’ s compare :
- Macabee’s Kosher Foods 6 Cheese Bagel Pizzas $6.99/6 or $1.17 for each full bagel
- Pepperoni Bagel Bites $6.99 per 24 bites or 6 servings, also $1.17 per serving
If we counted two of our bagel pizza as equal in volume to one of the frozen servings, we ’ d still come out ahead at $ 1.08 — made with better ingredients .
indeed, yeah, it ’ sulfur better to make pizza bagels. Whenever you want. 😉
How to save even more on your groceries for this recipe:
Pizza Bagels already rank as a effective cheap feed, but you can do flush better :
- Shop the sales – The higher priced items for this recipe are the cheese and the pepperoni. Watch the sales and stock up when you see a good price. Both shredded cheese and sliced pepperoni freeze well.
- Use less – Obviously, a gooey, cheesy pizza is amazing, but you’d be surprised that it’s just as good with less cheese.
- Go meatless – As tasty as pepperoni is, cheese pizza is almost as good. Even better for some folks. Explore your options for lower priced toppings.
- Use up leftovers – I mentioned earlier that this is a great recipe for using up little bits of leftovers that might otherwise get tossed. That’s almost like free food. Watch for bits of chicken, ham, veggies, or other cheeses that you might use up on your pizza bagels.
Do you need special equipment to make bagel pizzas?
indeed, if you want to get fancy or if you ’ ve got youthful children prepping your pizza bagels you might invest in a Bagel Guillotine. It works well, except on identical easy, clean bagels. Those tend to get a bite smooshed .
We bought one years ago when the kids weren ’ thyroxine quite up to speed slicing bagels. Trust me, it prevented more than one trip to the ER. That said, it ’ sulfur decidedly a non-essential .
other than that, you can get by with very basic kitchen tools :
- parchment paper – for easier clean up
- rimmed baking sheet – these are nice and sturdy
- box grater– freshly shredded mozzarella melts better than the bagged stuff
If you prepare this recipe, be sure to share a picture on social media and hashtag it #GOODCHEAPEATS. I can’t wait to see what you cook up!
If you prepare this recipe, be certain to partake a video on social media and hashtag it. I ca n’t wait to see what you cook up !
Add to Collection Go to Collections
Pizza bagels are easy and delicious! Top a split bagel with sauce, your favorite toppings, and some cheese for a fun and simple lunch, snack, or dinner.
4 bagels split in half
1/2 cup pizza sauce
Read more: Best Homemade Pizza Recipe
oz mozzarella tall mallow ( shredded ) ( 2 cups )
2 oz pepperoni ( sliced ) ( about 32 slices )
- Preheat the oven to 475° .
- place the bagel halves on a baking tabloid. Spread the sauce over the come on of the bagels. Sprinkle a small amount of cheese over the sauce. Layer the pepperoni over the cheese. Add more cheese, according to taste .
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and starting to brown .
- Serve immediately .
promptly shop leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days .
nutritional values are approximate and based on 1
Tried this Recipe ? Tag Me today !
Mention @ goodcheapeatsblog or rag # goodcheapeats
This post was originally published on June 15, 2011. It has been updated for content and clarity .