Follow these steps from start to finish to create pizza perfection .
1. Remove the pizza dough from the refrigerator. Cover it and let it warm up to board temperature for an hour. If the boodle was frozen, first defrost it in the refrigerator nightlong. Covering the boodle keeps the surface from drying out and forming a crust .
2. While the boodle is warming, set the oven temperature vitamin a high as it will go ( 260 °C / 500 °F is a minimum ), and prepare a broil airfoil. In dozens of experiments involving more than 100 pizza, we explored a wide compass of materials and methods for cooking pizza at home. Our goal was to find the cook coat that best transfers heat to raw pizza dough. Every surface will cool to some degree when the pizza goes in, but the drop in temperature should be as shallow and brief as possible. Our conclusion : a dark steel plate fair ? in thick is the best option.
3. unfold and flatten the dough on a flour shape surface by using your fingers to press the middle of the dough bland, and then work the boodle outward. Leave a narrow ridge along the circumference of the dough .
4. Dust a pizza peel or baking sheet with a light, even dusting of flour. Tap the side of the peel on the countertop to knock off any excess flour. If the fudge pizza crust tastes like burn off flour, the undress was overfloured. If the pizza crust sticks, you credibly used besides little flour .
5. Drape the dough over the back of your handwriting, and then rotate it slowly. The weight of the boodle should gently stretch it to a circular determine and even thickness, 30–35 curium / 12–14 in. in diameter. small blisters and bubbles should form in the boodle. These are well !
6. Place the dough onto a pizza peel off. Jerk the peel sharply back and forth ; this prevents the dough from sticking to the undress .
7. Spread the sauce evenly over the dough, but leave the outermost 2.5 curium / 1 in of the perimeter dry.
8. Sprinkle grated cheese evenly over the sauce .
9. To avoid losing heat from the oven, slide the pizza from the peel onto the baking sword deoxyadenosine monophosphate quickly as possible .
10. Cook the pizza until the crust turns brown and blisters, 2–4 minutes. Some of the larger bubbles should look about burn. A well-cooked pizza has scorched blisters on the bottom of the crust—although, pizza can besides be delightful without a blister crust. If you don ’ t see any blisters, your cooking surface is not hot enough. This is another reason why we recommend using our baking sword .
11. Remove the pizza from the oven by using the pizza undress or baking tabloid, and slide it onto a cool rack. This keeps the crust crispen .
12. Season the proto-indo european with clean basil, chili flakes, salt, and olive anoint. Don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate forget to season the identical boundary of the crust, and give it a little drizzle of oil, excessively. Serve the pizza immediately.
–Adapted from Modernist Cuisine at Home