This is obviously a cheat recipe, but a healthier copycat Casey ’ s Taco Pizza is something we ’ ve been thinking about tackling for a while, and with all the CrossFit, yard, and theater projects we had on exploit for this weekend, we thought the time was arrant .
First, a little background.
CrossFit Fringe sits right behind a Casey ’ s public toilet store. I didn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate grow up with them, so it was a while before I realized that they had carry-out pizza. Yes, carry-out pizza at a flatulence station/convenience shop. I ’ ll let that sink in.
Of the pizza they have, the greaser pizza is decidedly the most popular around here, and although I ’ ve been able to abstain, I ’ ve always wanted to try taco pizza. Taco pizza are typically made with refried beans, ground gripe, lettuce and tomato, and then topped with taco chips and cheese. Pretty amazing sounding right ?
not wanting the wax carry-out feel ( which honestly would make me sicker than a dog ) and wanting to healthify wherever possible I thought that we could tackle this ourselves .
We made the dough for the crust ( our super easy and amazing sourdough crust ) and picked up clean organic ingredients, including taco chips. We went lighter on the tall mallow, and achieved a bracing pie that was barren of all the grease, salt and brassy, processed ingredients of distinctive carry-out pizza .
SavePrint Healthier Casey ’ s Taco Pizza at Home
- 1 batch sourdough pizza crust (or whichever recipe you prefer)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal or flour
- 1 14.5-oz can refried beans
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (decently large)
- 5 cups Romaine lettuce, shredded thinly
- 1 cup pickled jalapenos (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- In a large saucepan, brown beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Return to pan, and add seasoning and 1 chopped tomato. Cook for another minute, stirring continually. .
- Roll dough in cornmeal and roll out on counter or coated baking pan or pizza stone. Pre-bake in oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven. Using a rubber spatula, spread refried beans evenly over dough like you would normal pizza sauce.
- Add the beef evenly over the refried beans. Then sprinkle cheese over top. Place pizza back in oven and cook for 12-14 minutes or until crust is crisp.
- Top with remaining tomato, lettuce, jalapenos and taco chips.
3.5.3226 Not a bad way to accompany a busy weekend!