Friday night is pizza night at our house, and this is the pizza crust recipe I ’ ve made from scratch about every Friday for many, many years .
I ’ thousand updating this post nowadays not because I ’ ve made any changes— it ’ mho always the like, workweek after week— but because I love it sooo much. And I want you to fall in sexual love with it besides. It ’ s lighter and crisp on the outside while staying chewy on the at heart. A fantastic base for whatever ingredients you like.
Reading: The Best Homemade Pizza Dough
My recipe is basic— with flour, body of water, olive oil, yeast and salt. But I besides like to add a few especial ingredients to take the relish of our pizza to the adjacent horizontal surface. Herbs, garlic, and beloved are my hidden weapons and I swear by them. Pizza crust international relations and security network ’ thyroxine just a vehicle for delectable toppings, but it should have capital season all on its own !
You can use fresh herbs like rosemary, sage, or thyme ( or a jazz band ! ) or you can use dry herb. You can use mince fresh garlic or you can garlic powder. And you can even use granulated sugar if you don ’ t have honey on handwriting .
If making pizza at home from strike intimidates you, I ’ meter here to tell you : you got this. Read the recipe through a few times, take a deeply breath, and then give it a sound. After a few pizza nights you ’ ll be baking like a pro, promise .
Of all the recipes on my site, this is decidedly the one that gets the most function. Pizza night is our favorite night of the week !
baking tip:Rising and Proofing Yeast Breads
Letting kneaded boodle rest so that the yeast can do its job will improve the volume, flavor, and texture of the bread. A second rise ( or proofing ) after being shaped will increase volume, give the boodle a fine texture, and improve the relish further. You can test if your dough has risen enough by pressing the dough with your finger. If the pitting remains, your boodle is ready. If not, give it more fourth dimension .
Let the dough stay in a affectionate stead, covered with a towel or fictile wrap to retain moisture. here are a few suggestions :
- Oven: Heat your oven to its lowest setting for a few minutes, then turn it off. Place the covered dough on the center rack and close the door.
- Microwave: Heat 1 cup of water in your microwave for 2 minutes. Place the covered dough in the microwave and close the door.
- Other: I’ve also risen bread on top of a warm oven, running dryer machine, and even on a chair set over a heater vent.
More Baking Tips »
Basic Pizza Dough
The only homemade pizza dough recipe you ‘ll always need !
- 4 cups general-purpose flour ( 500 grams )
- 2 1/4 teaspoon active-dry yeast ( 1 software, 7 grams )
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh herb , finely chopped or 1 teaspoon dried herb ( optional )
- 1 clove of garlic , minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder ( optional )
- 1 cup water ( 237 milliliter )
- 1/3 cup olive vegetable oil ( 80 milliliter )
- 1 tablespoons honey
- In the bowl of a stand sociable fitted with a dough addict ( or in a large bowl if desegregate and knead by hand ), combine 2 cups of the flour, yeast, salt, herb, and garlic .
- Heat the water system, olive vegetable oil, and honey in a modest saucepan until steaming. Remove from estrus and let sit for 5 minutes, or until temperature is between 120-130 degrees F. Slowly add the water and petroleum to the dry ingredients, while mixing on low accelerate. Use a spatula to scrape down the roll as needed .
- With the sociable on medium gloomy, add the remaining flour a 1/4 cup at a time, mixing until incorporated between each accession. Continue adding flour until the boodle clears the bowl and is muggy to the partake without coming off in your hands. You may not need all 4 cups of flour, or you may need a morsel more .
- once all of the flour has been added, continue to knead with a boodle hook or by hand for a few more minutes until smooth and elastic .
- Shape boodle into a ball and space in a lubricated bowl and binding with credit card wrap. Put in a warm space and let ascend until doubled, about 1 hour .
- gently push down on the center of the boodle to release the gases and knead by hand on a clean surface a few times. Let dough sit for a few minutes, then divide in half and roll each out and shape into a pugnacious 10 inch set. Transfer to a greased pan for baking. alternatively, you can roll the boodle into one large rectangle and press into a lubricated regular sheet pan .
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees .
- top boodle with coveted toppings and bake until crust is fortunate, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately .
- I like to use fresh herbs like rosemary, sage, thyme. If I use dried herbs I use Italian seasoning.
- You can substitute 1 tablespoon granulated sugar for the honey if desired. Add with the dry ingredients.
- Storing pizza dough: You can let the pizza dough rise in the fridge slowly if you’d like to prepare it ahead of time. Dough it best if used within 24 hours. You can also freeze the dough, tightly wrapped for up to 1-2 months. Let thaw to room temperature and double in size before using.
Read more: Who Invented Pizza?
Have you tried this recipe ? I ’ vitamin d love to hear about it ! Leave a review below or take a photograph and tag it on Instagram @ completelydelicious with # completelydelicious This recipe was primitively published May 2013 .