Get the best tips and tricks to soften butter quickly. We ’ ll take that cold, hard butter and bring it to the perfect room temperature .
With these dim-witted methods to warm your butter, you ’ ll soon be warming hearts with your baking.
originally published February 3, 2020 and updated continuously with clean content. stream update is January 3, 2022 .
As Julia Child said, “ With adequate butter, anything is good. ” I believe that with all my heart. That ’ s the rationality why I have made butter a basic component in our home !
During my hebdomadally trip to the supermarket, I constantly make sure to stock up on salted butter. I can store the extra in my deep-freeze until I ’ megabyte ready to use. This direction, I am never out of butter and have to make a special trip .
however, this can create a small dilemma if I forget to defrost the butter ! I ’ ve shared with you my best tips to cursorily softening cream cheese and now I want to share with you how to quickly soften butter .
Why Soften Butter Before Starting Your Recipe
Most, if not all baking recipes call for mince butter or room temperature butter. Softened butter allows you to mix or cream butter together with the other ingredients in your recipe .
To achieve perfect bakery choice desserts and smooth creamy frostings, I ’ ve found these tips to be the most impactful in my baking !
Did you know that softened butter international relations and security network ’ thyroxine precisely a suggestion in baking… it ’ s actually a prerequisite ? The temperature of your butter is so significant that many recipes will fail without that perfect room temperature required to trap the air into the fatten itself. This is the absolutely imperative to the process of cream .
How to Soften Butter – Six Easy Methods
Leave Out On The Counter Method
First things first, you can leave salted butter out on the counter ( covered ) overnight to defrost and soften. This may surprise you, but leaving salted butter out on the counter overnight is perfectly safe .
Some base hit experts say it is a matter of preference whether to refrigerate salted butter or not. personally, I decidedly err on the side of refrigeration for long term repositing. however, I do believe allowing your butter to rest at room temperature is the best method acting for softening overall !
If you are trying to defrost freeze butter, this method is best .
Unsalted butter can besides be left out for a few hours to soften equally well. Without the preservative of salt though, unsalted butter should be refrigerated after a few hours or frozen for longer storage .
This method does take about 12 hours and is not convenient if you are in a haste .
How to Soften Butter in the Microwave Method
The microwave is credibly the fastest manner to soften butter, particularly if it is freeze. In my option, it is besides the hardest method acting. The microwave has thus much power that normally the resultant role is melted butter or raggedly dampen butter. I do have a few tips though .
- place butter in a microwave safe stadium, and put the stadium in the microwave .
- Microwave for 3 seconds .
- Rotate butter and microwave again for 3 seconds .
- Do this until your butter is wholly softened .
Time consuming ? possibly, but it ’ south still a much faster method acting to reaching your finish !
Sliced Butter Method
If you ’ ve just taken your stick of butter out of the electric refrigerator ( not deep-freeze ) you can cut the adhere into slices and leave in a cheery point for about 30 minutes. It will soften absolutely for baking .
Another option is to use a box grater. Run your cold butter across the largest side of the grater. This grates the butter in large chunks which is arrant for softening cursorily. This method will cut your softening clock time in about half .
Again… international relations and security network ’ thyroxine this image fabulously satisfying ? Or possibly that ’ sulfur just me. The butter beloved runs cryptic !
Method Four: Soften Under a Warmed Glass
This antique magic trick is just arsenic easy as it sounds !
Add boiling water to a heat-safe looking glass. I like to leave it for a minute to in full warm the glass through .
Dump the water, and turn the glass top down over your stick of butter. The warmed dome effect softens your butter in fair minutes without melting !
Rolling Pin Method
Lay your adhere of butter between two sheets of wax newspaper or credit card wrapping, and use your rolling pin to flatten the butter to about ¼ inch .
Flip the butter, uncovering it to then fold it in half, recuperate, and roll it out again, until it becomes elastic. ideally, it will be about 1/4 of an inch blockheaded .
Flip the butter a copulate times, allowing it to rest with each impudent. This brings it to the appropriate temperature and allows you to uncover and proceed. At this period, the butter should be softened enough to use .
Let ’ s be honest, it ’ sulfur besides a lot of fun and superintendent satisfy to see that beautiful butter flattened out absolutely on your buffet circus tent !
Water Bath Method
Another easy antic is to give your butter a hot water bath .
- merely heat up some water to boiling or about seethe in a culture medium size pot .
- Using a high hotness safe looking glass bowl, place butter into bowl .
- Place the butter bowl on top of your pot with blistering water creating a double broiler .
- For even faster dampen time, use a lid on exceed of the butter roll .
This method can soften your butter fairly quickly. Slice your butter for even faster results .
A Few Favorite Recipes with Butter
now that your butter is perfect, it is time to bake ! Try out my best bakery timbre cookie recipes .
- M & M Cookies – These M & M cookies are just delightful. I plowshare some of my best cookie tips with this recipe thus you don ’ triiodothyronine want to miss out !
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake – Thick chewy cookie cake with chocolate chips and a secret twist you ’ ll love ! A classic cookie patty recipe you ’ ll make time and again !
- Kitchen Sink Cookies – These cookies are full of delicousness. Stuffed with crunchy pretzels, toffee, and chocolate chips for the perfect sweet and salty balance!
- Cinnamon Sugar Cookies – I created this recipe for the holidays but it is a huge hit all class long ! A wintry twist on the classical sugar cookie recipe, this recipe won ’ t disappoint no matter when you serve them !
- Caramel Frosting – You ’ ll curiosity why you always bought icing from the storehouse after you make this easy frost recipe. Caramel frost is fluent and creamy and tastes providential .
- Buttercream Frosting for Sugar Cookies – The best cookie frosting recipe ever ! Flavorful and smooth, it is so easy to ice and decorate your cookies with this buttercream !
Psst… have you tried my delightful beloved butter, ch ocolate butter or strawberry butter ? Don ’ t skip them – it ’ s so delicious to slather on virtually everything you can dream of !
More of the Best Baking Tips
- Brown Butter – Learn how to brown butter with this recipe and video recording tutorial. Browning butter is often overlook or skipped in recipes, but you will see here how it could be the privy to bakery quality desserts !
- How to Soften Cream Cheese – In a pinch ? Learn how to soften cream tall mallow cursorily and safely !
- Dry Versus Liquid Measuring Cups
- Essential Measurement Conversion Chart – Adjust your recipes without effort! Hang this chart inside your cabinet for quick reference.
- Baking Pan Sizes and Conversions – So you can always convert your pan sizes based on what’s on hand!
More About Butter
Did you make this ? Rate the recipe and tag me on social @ julieblanner !
How to Soften Butter
An array of easy ways to soften butter without melting, quickly!
Prevent your screen from going dark
1 cup butter
- Microwave Butter on high gear for 3 seconds .
- Rotate butter and microwave again .
- repeat until soft .
- Rolling Pin Method – Place butter between 2 sheets of wax paper. Using a rolling pin, roll out butter to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Water Bath Method – Create a double broiler and put butter in dish over a pot of hot water. Use a lid to help trap heat in the bowl containing the butter.
- Counter Method – Leave out salted butter on the counter covered overnight to defrost and soften. Unsalted can also be left out for a few hours.
- Grated Method – Grate using a cheese shredder. It will be soft in less than 10 minutes.
- Sliced Method – If you’ve just taken your stick of butter out of the fridge (not freezer) you can cut the stick into slices and leave in a sunny spot for about 30 minutes. It will soften perfectly for baking.
- Warmed Glass Method – Add boiling body of water to a heat-safe glass, leaving it for a minute to in full warm the field glass through. Dump the water, and turn the field glass top polish over your stick of butter. The warm dome effect softens your butter in just minutes .
Soften Frozen Butter
- Frozen salted butter can be left out on the counter to defrost for 12 hours.
Read more: Microwave Baked Potato – Baking Mischief
Estimated nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed .
© author :