Adelphi is an unincorporated area and census-designated set in Prince George ‘s County, Maryland, United States. [ 1 ] Per the 2020 Census, the population was 16,823. [ 2 ] Adelphi includes the follow subdivisions ; Adelphi, Adelphi Park, Adelphi Hills, Adelphi Terrace, Adelphi Village, Buck Lodge, Chatham, Cool Spring Terrace, Hillandale Forest, Holly Hill Manor, Knollwood, Lewisdale, and White Oak Manor .
history [edit ]
The unincorporated Adelphi residential district takes its identify from the historic Adelphi Mill, established in 1796 along the Northwest branch of the Anacostia River. and continues to attract visitors and can be rented for special functions. During the nineteenth hundred, George Washington Riggs acquired much of the area northeasterly of Washington, D.C., as his Green Hill estate in the Chillum Manor zone. That estate included contemporary Adelphi. In the early 1920s, part of the area was acquired by Leander McCormick-Goodhart as separate of his Langley Park estate. [ 3 ] Labor organizer Mary Harris “ Mother ” Jones died in 1930, at the farm of Walter and Lillie May Burgess near Powder Mill and Riggs Roads in contemporary Adelphi. A marker was erected by the Maryland State Highway Administration commemorating Mother Jones at her end locate. Unlike its nearby neighbors Hyattsville and College Park, the area remained relatively undeveloped until immediately following World War II. At that time, subdivisions promptly developed. To distinguish it from the other neighbor unincorporated communities of Lewisdale and Langley Park, the growing subdivisions banded together in the mid-1950s and adopted the diagnose “ Adelphi ” to reflect their commitment to the conservation of the historic factory of the same diagnose. A community focal point that primitively developed in the late 1950s is the Adelphi Pool, a individual pond in the Adelphi region, located following to George Washington Cemetery on Riggs Road. Use of the Adelphi Pool requires paid membership or being accompanied by a penis and paying a minor fee. The Adelphi pond offers swimming lessons and besides features swim teams which compete against each other. Two luminary features of the Adelphi Pool are its long urine chute and basketball hoop. In 1971, the Harry Diamond Laboratories was established on 137 acres ( 0.55 km2 ) in the northern function of Adelphi. That adeptness continues as the Adelphi Laboratory Center, Army Research Laboratory ( ARL ), the U.S. Army ‘s corporate research testing ground. [ 4 ] other adjacent union facilities include the National Archives at College Park and headquarters of the Food and Drug Administration.
Reading: Adelphi, Maryland – Wikipedia
Historic sites [edit ]
The play along is a list of historic sites in Adelphi identified by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission : [ 5 ]
geography [edit ]
Adelphi is located at ( 38.996860, −76.966755 ). [ 6 ] According to the United States Census Bureau, the Census Designated Place ( CDP ) has a sum sphere of 2.7 square miles ( 7.1 km2 ), all land. [ 7 ]
adjacent areas [edit ]
Demographics [edit ]
|U.S. Decennial Census
2020 census [edit ]
Note: the US Census treats Hispanic/Latino as an ethnic category. This table excludes Latinos from the racial categories and assigns them to a separate category. Hispanics/Latinos can be of any race.
2000 Census [edit ]
As of 2000, there were 14,998 people, 5,332 households, and 3,321 families that were reported to be living in Adelphi, Maryland. The population concentration was 5,067.9 people per square mile ( 1,956.3/km2 ). There were 5,627 housing units at an average concentration of 1,901.4/sq mile ( 734.0/km2 ). The racial makeup of the CDP was quite divers, including 29.48 % White, 39.83 % african American, 0.28 % native American, 9.95 % asian, 0.06 % Pacific Islander, 15.04 % from early races, and 5.36 % from two or more races. hispanic or Latino of any race were 25.74 % of the population. There were 5,332 households, out of which 30.6 % had children under the historic period of 18 live with them, 42.5 % were married couples living together, 13.5 % had a female homeowner with no conserve present, and 37.7 % were non-families. 27.5 % of all households were made up of individuals, and 6.1 % had person living alone who was 65 years of old age or older. The average family size was 2.77 and the median family size was 3.35. In the CDP, the age distribution of the population included 22.7 % under the old age of 18, 13.0 % from 18 to 24, 35.7 % from 25 to 44, 19.1 % from 45 to 64, and 9.5 % who were 65 years of old age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females, there were 98.1 males. For every 100 females long time 18 and over, there were 96.6 males. The median income for a family in the CDP was $ 45,827, and the median income for a kin was $ 53,839. Males had a medial income of $ 32,495 versus $ 31,932 for females. The per head income for the CDP was $ 20,952. About 6.6 % of families and 9.0 % of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.2 % of those under long time 18 and 7.4 % of those age 65 or over .
Government and infrastructure [edit ]
The University of Maryland System has an function in Adelphi. [ 11 ] The Prince George ‘s County Police Department serves Adelphi through District 1, [ 12 ] with its place in Hyattsville. [ 13 ] The Chillum -Adelphi Volunteer Fire Department ( CAVFD ) serves Adelphi. The station is in Langley Park CDP and has an Adelphi postal address. [ 14 ] [ 15 ] In March 1951 and June 8, 1951 the CAVFD was established and chartered, respectively. From November and March 1953 the fire station on Riggs Road was constructed ; the County Volunteer Firemen ‘s Association designated it Station No. 34. Portions of Station No. 34 were rebuilt in the early 1960s, and it was rededicated on November 16, 1963. In 1962 the CAVFD began building a substation, No. 44, which was dedicated on November 16, 1963, but in 1992 it sold the substation to the county government. [ 16 ]
department of education [edit ]
Adelphi is the home of the University of Maryland Global Campus, and the community is located near the University of Maryland main campus in College Park.
Adelphi is served by the Prince George ‘s County Public Schools arrangement. [ 17 ] In 2000, a newly elementary school opened in the community dedicated to undertaking organizer Mary Harris “ Mother ” Jones. [ 18 ] elementary schools in Adelphi : [ 19 ]
A southeast section is zoned to University Park Elementary School in University Park. [ 19 ] Most residents are zoned to Buck Lodge Middle School in Adelphi and High Point High School in Beltsville. A southeastern section is zoned to Hyattsville Middle School and Northwestern High School in Hyattsville. [ 20 ] [ 21 ]
Commerce [edit ]
Adelphi Shopping Center, erstwhile base to the original Ledo Restaurant The main patronize centers that serve the Adelphi region are the Adelphi Shopping Center, Adelphi Plaza, and Metzerott Plaza .
Adelphi Shopping Center [edit ]
The Adelphi Shopping Center is located at the corner of University Boulevard and West Park Drive. From 1955 until July 25, 2010, the Adelphi Shopping Center was home to the original Ledo Restaurant, an italian restaurant celebrated for its specialization pizza. On July 25, 2010, the Original Ledo Restaurant closed its doors in the Adelphi Shopping Center and reopened its fresh localization a few miles away in Downtown College Park. The restaurant has been and continues to be a long-time favorite of University of Maryland students/faculty ampere well as residents of the Adelphi and College Park communities. In the middle of 2011, the El Amate Texas Mexican restaurant/bar took over Ledo ‘s former space in the Adelphi Shopping Center. The Adelphi Shopping Center was besides home to a elephantine Food Store, which opened on October 1, 1958. The elephantine Food Store was converted into a Shoppers Food Warehouse store in the former 1980s. In 1994, the Shoppers Food Warehouse in the Adelphi Shopping Center was damaged in a displace. The Shoppers Food Warehouse used the fire as an opportunity to modernize its department of the interior. however, 17 years later, in give 2011, the Shoppers Food Warehouse closed its doors in the Adelphi Shopping Center. One year by and by in the middle of 2012, the MegaMart chain of Latino supermarkets opened a “ MegaFarmer ‘s Supermarket ” in Shoppers ‘ former location. MegaMart already had a storehouse across the street at the Adelphi Plaza ; this store remains unfold a well. The Adelphi Shopping Center is besides home to a Loch Lomond bakery, asian carryout restaurant, SunTrust Bank, Haircut 2000 barber shop class, H & R Block, Cricket Wireless, and Advanced Auto Parts .
Adelphi Plaza [edit ]
The Adelphi Plaza is another patronize center that serves the Adelphi region. It is precisely west of the Adelphi Shopping Center on the same side of University Boulevard. The Adelphi Plaza contains a MegaMart Supermarket, Sabor Latino restaurant, La Casa De La Musica, McDonald ‘s, King Kong Chinese Restaurant, and a Shell flatulence place. The MegaMart Supermarket in Adelphi, MD was once named as, “ Panam Supermarket ”, as the MegaMart chain in the D.C. area used to be called, ” Panam Supermarket ”, until 2009. From that class onwards. the chain was known as, “ MegaMart ”. The supermarket opened and has been operating from the year of 2004 .
Metzerott Plaza [edit ]
Metzerott Plaza is the third gear shop center that serves the Adelphi region. It is located at the corner of Adelphi Road and Riggs Road. Metzerott Plaza consists of Bestway supermarket, Rite Aid Pharmacy, Golden Bull Restaurant, 7-Eleven Convenience Store, Bank of America Branch, Popeyes Fast Food Restaurant, Basil ‘s Pizza Carryout Shop, SkyLake Laundromat, and Western Union. Metzerott Plaza has been anchored by a Safeway Food & Drug Store for more than thirty years until November 4, 2006, when it decided closed its doors due to its shop space being excessively modest to make additions that would place the store with other modernized Safeway Food Stores that consisted of clean delicatessen, salad bars, and a small cafe. A Bestway latin american Supermarket has been operating in Safeway ‘s early touch in Metzerott Plaza, always since Safeway closed. The patronize center besides previously contained a McDonald ‘s Fast Food Restaurant and Bustin ‘ Suds Laundromat. They closed a little earlier in the summer of 2006.The golden bull on the ceiling of the previous aureate bull restaurant, was removed in November of 2021
luminary people [edit ]
See besides [edit ]
- Avenel-Hillandale, name of a census-designated place that was part of Adelphi in 1970.
References [edit ]
Read more: The Top 3 Ways to Reheat Pizza—Ranked