Homemade pizza boodle from this recipe has been the basis for our family ‘s standard Saturday pizza nights ever since our kids were small. individual pizza were one of the beginning recipes I published back when I started this web log, and the dough is the basis for my favored type of pizza – Chicken Pesto Greek Style Pizza.
But I ’ ve never posted the pizza crust recipe alone, and since it ’ s such a big part of our unconstipated menu, I thought it would make it easier for you to find and use good the dough recipe ( which, by the means, I besides use as the basis for this pesto bread recipe and this calzone recipe ) .
After discovering and adapting this recipe ( in the first place in a Betty Crocker cookbook we got for a wedding gift a long time ago … ), it was like I won the menu lottery or something – I would make individual mini pizza and everyone could choose what to put on them. And when kids are small and finical, this was a fantastic thing ! Brian and I would load up on the vegetables and they kids would have…cheese .
But as the kids grew older they started adding more vegetables until by high gear school we were all pretty much eating the same thing. And so I started making just one big pizza at that degree, because it ’ s a little quicker than making the individual size .
But the individual pizza ? Those are still one of my go-to menu for party because everyone can choose what they want on it, which is so dainty when you ’ ve got a blend of finical kids, vegetarian, or early special diets. specially if you ‘re hosting new friends that you have n’t learned their tastes so far. They ‘ve been very popular for kyd ‘s parties and sleepovers, excessively .
The best thing about this crust, of course, is that it can be fix for toppings in 15-20 minutes – or 30 minutes when pre-baking – which is quicker than going to buy a pizza for most of us ( unless you live around the corner to a pizza rate … ) .
not to mention it ‘s so much cheaper to make your own pizza than buying one, tied one of those ready-to-bake pizza. In fact, the crust costs fair pennies : *
- flour – .35-.40
- bulk yeast – .12
- honey – .05
- olive oil – .20-.40
- salt – .01
Is n’t that crazy ? .73 to .98 for enough pizza crust to serve a family of 4 to 6 ! Puts those $ 20 to $ 30 pizza in a solid modern fall – and even the $ 10 pre-baked varieties ! Just for fun, let ‘s entire the toppings for a basic cheese pizza to see how much that would add :
- 8 oz. cheese is around $2-2.50
- 8 oz. can of tomato sauce is usually around .40 (you can add garlic and your own seasonings to make it pizza sauce for a few more pennies).
So you can make a cheese pizza for less than $4. Of class you can add a set more toppings to this basic pizza and the price will go up, but if you make a elementary pepperoni pizza, it would only add about $ 2.00 for half of a distinctive package, which normally covers this size pizza, bringing the total well under $ 6.00 .
*prices are generalized from a brief web search, but these are pretty close to the norm and give you an idea of how cheap pizza crust is to make .
How to Make Homemade Pizza Dough
( Picture tutorial to go along with full recipe accessed by clicking the arrows )
You ‘re going to love how easy this is, excessively !
Mix up your ingredients – no massage required, but do let the sociable run until the dough clears the sides of the bowl ( or turn it over a couple times if cause by hand ). Let it sit for 15-20 minutes .
It will rise a only a bit, but look puffier. You can let it sit for longer and it will rise more, but I ‘m always in a rush, and we do n’t truly notice a difference in the finished crust when it ‘s risen long .
I used to think you had to try to toss your homemade pizza dough and lone use your hands to form the crust, or it was somehow ‘cheating. ‘ Duh .
I now just shape it into a general rectangle ( if I ‘m using a bake sail like pictured – shape into a general circle if using a circle sheet or stone ) and let a rolling pin do the pillow of the work to get the boodle evenly flattened. then precisely finish the edges by hand once the dough is rolled vitamin a much as it will go .
We ‘ve learned that pre-baking the crust is a key for us to be able to load it with toppings and still get it cooked all the manner to the middle. Pre-baking is optional, but try it if you often have gummed centers !
Five dollars for a pizza with ingredients you control and feeds 4+ with a pair pieces leftover ( sometimes … ) ? That ’ s pretty much the argue we ’ ve been able to have pizza nights for years and not go break. Plus I ’ ve constantly felt good about serving our pizza with ingredients I can choose. Pizza is never a ‘junk food ‘ when you control the ingredients !
Make Quick Homemade Pizza Dough
An easy pizza dough fix for toppings in 30 minutes for less than a dollar !
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 cup warm water use hot water from the tap
- 1 teaspoon beloved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive vegetable oil
- 2½ cups unbleached flour I normally add 1 cup hale wheat
- cornmeal optional
- sauce and toppings of option
- Add yeast to a mix bowl and pour the 1 cup of hot tap water over it and mix.
- Add the remaining ingredients and let the sociable run at medium rush until the boodle clears the side of the bowl ( you can do this by hand : tick vigorously for 30 strokes ) .
- Let boodle stay in the stadium 15-20 minutes while you preheat the oven and prep the toppings .
- On a boastfully baking sheet or pizza pan/stone, sprinkle a sting of cornmeal. With anoint hands, remove the dough from the bowl and pull/shape into a general rectangle or r-2 ( depending on your pan ), then lay it on top of your cornmeal coated pan. Using a rolling peg or your hands, flatten and stretch the dough to fill the pan .
- Bake the dough for 10 minutes in a 425 academic degree oven ( you do n’t have to, but it ensures a amply cooked center crust, no matter how many toppings you add ) .
- Remove prebaked crust from the oven and spread with your toppings : sauce, shredded cheese, cooked meat and chopped vegetables .
- place topped pizza back into oven and bake for 10-15 minutes more, or until cheese is melted and toppings are browned .
- Slide the whole pizza from the pan to a cutting circuit board and cut into pieces .
Nutrition facts are for dough only.
Did you make this recipe ? Mention @ anoregoncottage or chase # anoregoncottage
Here are some ways we use this homemade pizza dough:
Chicken-Pesto Greek Style Pizza
1 Hour Chicken-Spinach Calzone
Read more: Who Invented Pizza?
Quick & Easy Pesto Twist Bread