Can You Microwave an Aluminium Tray?
You can microwave an aluminium tray. The Fraunhofer Institute (IVV) in Freising, Germany, conducted experiments into this phenomenon and found no single case of hazardous result or damage to the microwave ovens even when the trays were microwaved at maximum power ( 1 ).
however, there are a few things to note if you do decide to use an aluminum tray in your microwave :
- You must remove the aluminium lid before you put the tray in. If you leave the lid on during microwaving, it might lead to arcing, which can damage your microwave oven or even start a fire.
- You must position the tray in the center of your oven so that the tray does not come in contact with the microwave the oven walls for the same reason as above.
- You can only use one tray in your microwave at a time. Do not stack multiple trays or other aluminium cookware in the microwave.
- Lastly, if you use a microwave that has a metal turntable, be sure to place a ceramic or glass beneath the tray to avoid contact between the metal turntable and the tray itself.
What Happens When You Microwave an Aluminium Tray?
I decided to do some experiments to see what happened when I microwaved aluminum trays. When I placed an aluminum tray with food in the microwave, the microwave bounced off the tray and did not seem to pass through to the food.
The only way the microwave could pass through to the food on the tray was from the opening on top. This is the argue why you must not cover the tray with a hat ; the eyelid prevents the microwaves from getting into the food .
Another observation I made was no sparks were seen unless the tray touched the english of the microwave, which could be hazardous to your oven .
What Do The Experts Say About Microwave Aluminium Trays?
To further clarify the safety of microwaving aluminum trays, I did some research and came across a few interesting facts and insights from outstanding sources such as the United States Department of Agriculture ( USDA ) and Fraunhofer Institute for Process Engineering and Packaging IVV in Freising, Germany .
here ’ s what the USDA says explicitly about microwaving aluminum trays :
“ It can be safe to use little amounts of aluminum hydrofoil in a microwave oven. ” ( 2 )
This statement is further supported by the study from the Fraunhofer Institute where it stated :
“ Based on the physical insight and on empirical findings, all evaluated studies agree that there is no cause to NOT use aluminum thwart packages for heating food in the microwave oven – ampere retentive as some plan rules and heating guidelines are followed. ” ( 3 )
But what about the common conception that microwaving an aluminum tray can break your microwave ?
Read more: Baked Potato In The Microwave
From the same analyze that has been done for the European Aluminium Foil Association, it is stated that :
“ safety of microwave over operation is not affected by heating food in aluminum foil trays if instructions are followed. If arch occurs, it will not damage over or start a arouse but may cause minor, aesthetic defects in the over the wall. ”
therefore from the above insights, I can conclude that it is safe to use aluminum trays in the microwaves vitamin a long as you adhere to the instructions given .
6 Tips To Safely Heat Food in an Aluminium Tray in the Microwave
As mentioned above, it is safe to use aluminum trays in the microwave adenine retentive as you adhere to certain instructions. so below are some helpful tips for using the tray in microwaving safely :
- Aluminium tray must be placed in the center of your microwave so that it does not touch any side of the microwave walls.
- Only use a shallow aluminium tray that is no more than 2 inches deep. This is to make sure that the food is heated evenly.
- Never microwave an empty aluminium tray. You must always put some food on the tray, and the food should cover at least about 75% of the surface of the tray. This is because, without food, there is nothing that absorbs microwaves making the microwaves bounce back and forth to the oven walls, which could cause damage to your oven.
- Do not leave the microwave unattended while you are heating food in an aluminium tray. If arching occurs during microwaving, you need to be around to switch off the microwave immediately.
- Leave the top of the aluminium tray open. If you put something like foil on the aluminium tray, the heated aluminium tray can potentially make the foil go up in flames.
- Last but not least, if your microwave is equipped with a metal turntable, you need to put a ceramic or glass under the tray so that it does not come into contact with the metal turntable. This is to avoid sparks from happening.
Can Microwaving Food In Aluminium Cause Cancer or Health Issues?
This is another publish that has been lingering in the minds of many people, and for this issue will be sharing with you the insights from two early sources :
1. A study published by Deutsches Ärzteblatt International — the German Medical Association ’ s official external bilingual skill journal summarized that the body absorbs lone 0.1 % of orally inject aluminum. This is a very small share, and there has not been adequate evidence to prove that this dose triggers or causes health issues. ( 4 )
2. The european Food Safety Authority ( EFSA ) and the World Health Organization ( WHO ) have besides stated that it is adequate to ingest between 1-2 magnesium of aluminum per kilogram of body weight hebdomadally without any health issues.
Read more: Microwave Corn on the Cob – The BEST Way!
In summary, it is condom to use aluminum trays when microwaving your food. Providing you follow the condom instructions closely, it is improbable that you will face any condom issues or cause wrong to your microwave oven .
Healthwise, it is safer than microwaving food in plastic, wallpaper, or styrofoam containers, and there is no proof that microwaving food in aluminum trays causes cancer or health issues .
sol there is no reason why you can ’ thymine heat up your favorite food in an aluminum tray in the microwave oven .